Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

air cleaners

DarrellL

Have a need for a better air cleaner. Have Kohler K series motors on 716h and 718h tractors. Where I mow in Missuori is very dirty. Paper filters plug up fast. Is there a better, longer lasting cleaner. Thought about oil bath but not sure if it will mount. Any suggestions? DarrellL

The more filter area that you have, the longer it will take to clog. You might try the filter that Dutch recommended and install a longer bolt so that you can stack one on top of another and use two filters.

The K&N filters work great in extreme conditions. I replaced the paper element/foam pre-cleaner combination on my 7014 with the K&N so all I need to do is wash, dry and lightly re-oil the filter. Plus, the dirtier they get the better they work, or so the manufacturer claims. My experience is I wash it once in the fall and that's it. :D

Stay away from the oil bath air cleaner as you could cause more harm then good. They have to be sized so when the engine is running, the oil is drawn up the screen mesh to do the filtering. You need to know the intake air CFM rate and the the maximum air restriction in inches of H20 the intake system can handle. You get to big of an air cleaner the dirt just whistles around the oil and ends up going thru the engine. Most people don't no how to size it. And a majority if not all dealers can give out that information as sizing of air cleaners has been done at the factory with no thought of any after market products. Oil bath air cleaners are yesterday's technolgy and a pain to maintain.

BLT, I assume you are referring to Dutch's recommendation. This is NOT the oil bath air cleaner. It is a foam band that fits around the paper element. You soak the band with oil, squeeze out the excess, and place it around the paper element. This "pre-cleaner" catches large particles and the oil in foam causes most of the fine particles to stick to the foam before it reaches the paper element. Most small engines that have paper elements come equipped with these filters. Many, for one reason or another, have been lost and never replaced. When they get dirty, you wash them in warm, soapy water, rinse, dry, and re-use. They greatly extend the life of the paper element. Pat

Pat I agree with what you on the foam pad.I was reffering to D Paper elements and the foam pad is the only way to go. I was refering to an oil washed air cleaner ass'y that were on the earlier Briggs, TEC and many others. If you were'nt familiar with them they could cause damage if you didn't service them 2-3 times a year.\ and didn't clean steel mesh inside. BLT

• 1 month later...
Darrell' I know the problem that you have as I have an AC 712H, what I have done is extend the bolt and put a thicker filter (NAPA 2298) on it in the past. I just purchased a winter air filter ([url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20544&item=2084556454&rd=1[/url])for my 7117 and I believe that this would fit on the single cylinder engine. It would take a little modification, but I think with some radiator hose & custom bent tail pipe you could adapt one of these air filters to pick up air on the other side of the tractor away from the mower outlet and possibly install a precleaner too [url]http://www.fleetguard.com/en/products/en_prod_fg_air_pre.jhtml[/url]. Don