Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7117 Safety Switches

KenSee

All of a sudden the engine cuts out when either the hydo is shifted out of nuetral or the pto is engaged. Didn't do that before. I swapped the ignition switch a few weeks ago, but everything ran fine for awhile. Any clues as to what would cause this?

Kensee, Your Hydro lever and PTO levers are under the center section frame. Well, if you look up under the tractor you will find various wires. Some of these wires go to the Neutral safety for the Hydro and PTO levers. The ignition switch may be installed wrong or some of the wiring for your neutral safety system is back wards and back feeding or grounding out the ignition. Get a hold of a owners manual. The manuals have details as far as colors and where the wires go. Hope this helps. How about unhooking the safeties, starting the tractor try engaging the hydro and pto. See if it shuts off. Process of elimination. Jeff

Sounds almost like you have a wire shorting out somewhere. The saftey switches shouldn't have anything to do with the tractor running. All they do is prevent it from being started if a switch is open. A seat safety will however shut a tractor off if it becomes open, but I don't think they started using those till into the 90's. ??? could be wrong about that though.

The neutral safety switches are wired in a loop from the switch to the starter solenoid to prevent starting. You apparently hooked them in the ignition circuit (instead of starter circuit)when you changed the switch.

It sounds like your seat safety switch isn't making. On my 7117, if the PTO is engaged or the mower is not in neutral, the engine shuts off if I leave the seat. Therefore, I would imagine that your seat switch is not working, especially since everything worked after you installed the new switch. Also, the switch is a no-brainer as far as wiring, so I can't imagine you messed anything up. I would probably test the seat switch and replace it if it's bad.

Thank you for your input, been away for a few days. The seat switch is most likely the culprit, since I jumped it to stay closed when I got sick of restarts everytime I got off. Trying to save my starter, you know. I bet the jumper fell off the seat switch. I should have checked that but the computer was in front of me and the tractor was 20 miles away, so posting a question seemed easier at the time. But how much effort did I waste? I went and jumped the other two switches so I could get the snow moved in a hurry, but checking that seat switch would have been far easier than jumping the other switches. So much easier that yes now I feel like an idiot, but that's tractors!