Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Winter Fun

Put chains on the sov today, what a difference, ive got a gravel drive so not worried about scratching....

Neighbors snicker when they see me coming across the lake on the Yeoman...i dont know why, they just dont get it! I won this one on ebay, 60 odd dollars, thank you kserver for delivery, anyhoo, got it running like new.

Fishings been good, perfect temps, high 30s no wind.

Cut some wood on the edge of the upper field today, It looked like a gramma Moses painting without abstractions, what great weather! El nino rules......

Wish i had another week off.

doug, i guess you're talkin' walleye...right ?? love to ice fish. nearby i have a spot that produces some nice pan fish............when they're hittin' that is. enjoyed the pics.

Doug, Great pics! I am also in MN over on the west side north of Detroit Lakes Let El nino rule!! Except I want to use my AC712 to plow some snow. Can't yet. No snow. We could see the grass all last winter. Maybe it will be the same this winter? When it comes, I will take some pics and post. Dan

Great pics Doug, kinda like this above zero winter stuff myself. Drove to Ancorage yesterday and day before and all the rivers are still running, never seen that in dec before..MPH

John, Actually walleys arent hitting yet, we were catching crappies..now, whats the name of that secret spot??????????? Dan, I fished over there on strawberry years ago, it was very nice country. I ate lunch at one of those little "lost in time" ma and pa lodges, it was as though we had gone back to the 40s, i eat that stuff up. The tractor plows very nicely but i havent been able to really get on due to the little snow weve gotten. Marty, That IS unusuall, you locals must really be scratching your heads.

Great pics. Doug, kinda hard to see, can't make out whether you have chains on the Yeoman? Nice machine, especially for $60. In NY, it'll cost you that much for a pack of those smokes. :D [img]http://www.smileycollector.com/images/xmas/Santa%20wavn.gif[/img]

Nice Yeoman Doug, Did you get that hi/lo to quiet down a little. I know when mine is in the low side it makes noise too but only because it's hitting the stops. If you button that hood up you stay warmer.

Kris, I put an extra washer in on the mount and it quieted down enough till i can tear it down in the spring. Your right, its the stops making that noise. Sure runs good, it started with 2 pulls the other morning at 21 degrees which happens to be the minimum temp for buttoning the flaps on the hat:) Art, no chains on the yeoman,yet.....hey im down to less than a pack a day. Doug

Doug, you were in my neck of the woods when on strawberry lake. I'm just 7 miles south on the same county road on little sugarbush lake. We have Maplewood Resort.The weather forcast is for more 40 to 50 degree weather until about Wednesday. No snow- - - - - Dan

Pat, Were on the north side of the hill, about the only place where theres any snow left. The lakes almost clear. Ive heard south of St. Cloud theres none? i didnt think you guys out there would be snowless. Doug

Hey Doug, great pictures! I hope to have enough snow down here by rochester to let the niece and nephew ride a colt 250 I bought them. Also, I think you could rig up a lift mechanism to hold a ice auger on the front or back of the yoeman. Then let the neighbors talk!

Nice Pics Doug, Da wife and me goin back up to Phillips New Years weekend. Hope the Walleyes are biting better than over Thanksgiving. Really surprised with first ice, 3"(supposed to be the best, ain't it?) they weren't biting in late Nov. Guess I'll try again. Don't have any Simplicity's to run on the ice, (x-cept for the sunrunner) but Dad's old Articat should get me out to the holes. Still waiting for the first "TIP-UP!" of the season.

Reminds me of winter Maynard. Will that stay until spring or melt away??Just heard on the news Anchorage got 4 inches since I left last nite, Thier all excited..MPH

Maynard, Nice place, I guess white christmas is a reality for you this year. Dont get me wrong, Im not wishing for anymore snow, i like a brown christmas. One of the last posts of yours i read you mentioned you didnt have any snow, was this from that last storm to hit out east or did this happen more recently? Paul, To bad your so far away, im going out with tip ups this afternoon. Early ice is usually the best but its "slow" around here. I guess up on Rainy lake on the border the walleyes are really biting good. Im not sure but i think you had ice in phillips before our lake did...go figure? Neil, Good idea, actually i was thinking of mounting some antlers on the hood and towing the kids around on the lake in an old bathtub, if that wont make the neigbors shake thier heads..ya gotta keep em guessin. The ol colt 250, there was a mo-chine. Ive got only one an old ski doo elan. used mostly for collecting sap in the spring, its ugly, simple, but goes through the snow...

Doug Welllll Actualy that was 2 years ago. The picture below was 3 weeks ago. We have less than that now. The drives are bare the walk acrose the lawn is bare grass. I could almost rake the leaves that didn't get raked. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2//attach/UCD/Tractor3.JPG[/img]

Maynard, you could blow those leaves over on the neighbors yard with that 7790... that seems to be how some of my neighbors like to deal with them -- give them to someone else...;)

Doug, All 3 of my kids learned to ride on a '69 250 Elan. The thing was unstoppable and probably the most dependable sled I ever had. We've got a fleet of Cats now, hopefully we won't get rained out for tomorrows adventure... Maynard, It looked like the Adirondacks were gonna get 8+" today. Are you expecting any of that in your neck of the woods?? I couldn't reduce my scanned pics of the Blizzard of '93 enough to post. We got 40+ inches over that 3 day period, That was snow, but I guess not compared to Western NY's lake effect of 100+ inches of a few years ago...

The ice fishing pictures remind me of going to a crappy tournement. There was a man there with a front tine tiller with a sled attached to the back. He had great big buzz saw blades on it for tires. 8D Pretty cool. Guy

We definately need snow. Dirt drifts from the fields are filling ditches and blowing across the roads. Last year we got an early snowstorm in late October, but that had melted away by Christmas. Should have saved the pictures from the newspaper last spring. People were using their snowblowers to blow the dirt drifts off of their lawns and back into the fields. Maynard, your first pictures show only slightly more snow than we should be having at this time of year. Been in the 40's all of this past week. Pat

Mike, our elan is a real beater but runs very good and very dependable.... Magoo, Did ya win the tournament? Pat, do we really need it??????????

no doug 1st place was a 15" white crapie. That's big for here. Butt My father Has a picture Of the guy on the tiller. He charged $1.00 for Drilling three holes. That was a deal.The Ice was over two and a half feet deep. Guy

Doug, Not quite that much. Just enough to keep the dirt from blowing off the fields. Getting tired of seeing gray-outs instead of white-outs when the wind blows. Pat