Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

CALLING ALL TROUBLE SHOOTERS

sparky68112

I NEED A LITTLE HELP IN THE TROUBLE SHOOTING DEPT. I HAVE A 16 HP B&S THAT ACTS LIKE ITS RUNNING OUT OF GAS. STARTS FIND AND RUNS ABOUT 4 OR 5 MINS THEN DIES. HAD THE CARB REBUIT BY A REPAIR SHOP, I MADE SURE THE FILTER AND FUEL LINE WERE CLEAN. ANY IDEAS ?????

Did you try slowly applying the choke when it starts to die? You can also take the air cleaner off and "seal" the carb throat with your hand-if it picks up,you know it's having a hard time getting the gas in there.If it floods,or dies anyway,then your problem is elsewhere.(you can also dribble gas directly into the carb-but be careful!) I ran my b&s 16 twin out of gas and had a similar problem-it got crap in there even with the filter.Give it a good gumout spray while running high rpm before it dies and see if that helps.This may at least determine if it is a fuel problem.Charlie

Two things. Spark or fuel. If you have a spark when it dies, you then have no fuel flow. It is not oncommon that the fuel lines plugs before the filter (tanl outlet). Try blowing back into the tank and see if you can dislodge some crud. It's happened to me a few times on my 7010 and I swear I clean around the gas cap before taking it off, but I had had a few grass clippings sneak thru and slow the flow down to where it runs just like you say. I have taken off fuel a couple of times and shook it out and there were clippings in it. BT

if spark and fuel delivery can be verified i would be interested to know if the engine runs any better with the choke on when it begins to stumble. if so, could be a butterfly shaft pulling air or air entry at some other point downstream.

Does it start back up after it sits for a minute. Or does it take a while for it to cool off before it restarts. I would lean towards an ignition problem if it appears to be heat related, possibly the module if its mounted in a hot place.

If vent is not plugged coil is bad.How good is your carb rebuilding guy? mighta messed something up in there,I've got dealers asking me tech quests all the time,,.,, most today dont know and could care less,,got repair ''shops'' around here wouldnt give anything to get fixed,,

starts right up after it dies and does the same thing dies. i will check the fuel tank but it seems to have fuel in the line all the time.also repair shop is a large cub cadet dealer but i guess that doesnt really mean to much. i will keep trying your ideas. thanks

You say it starts right up again, then dies. Does it die immediately after the second startup, or does it run just as long as the first time? Pat

I know that you should not do this but on my wonderboy 700 I blow into the tank when it dies.I have done everything that I can think of to fix the starving problem but with no luck.Give it a try it is free and it might narrow down the problem . Bob

If it starts right up it is almost definately not getting fuel. If a coil was heating up it would take a while for it to cool down to start working. I would change the fuel filter before doing anything major. ddh

Another possibility is a valve hanging open. Does the exhaust tone/bark start sounding different seconds before it dies? Does the engine spin over "too" easily after it dies and maybe make a funny wooshing sound at the muffler? Just another potential cause to consider. Tom(PK)

I agree with Tom. Fixed one for a friend last summer. Didn't have enough clearance in the exhaust valve. Valve would seat when cold, but they grow as they heat up and will not seat when hot. As an engine accumulates rinning time the valves can wear down into the seats. This reduces the valve clearance. Pull the vent cover off and check the clearance. I'm not sure if a 16 B/S is adjustable. If not, a couple of strokes with a small file will do the trick.

WELL JUST WANTED TO THANK EVERYBODY FOR ALL THE HELP.THE PROBLAM WAS A BIG FAT GLOB OF I DONT KNOW WHAT IN THE TANK OUTLET. CLEAN IT OUT THREE TIMES BEFORE I GOT IT ALL OUT.NOW SHE STARTS RIGHT UP AND KEEPS ON RUNNIG,EVEN DID A LITTLE YARD WORK WITH THE FRONT END LOADER.^ THANKS SO MUCH TO ALL YOU GUYS. SPARKY

And just how did you find out!!(after all that).
quote:
Originally posted by sparky68112
WELL JUST WANTED TO THANK EVERYBODY FOR ALL THE HELP.THE PROBLAM WAS A BIG FAT GLOB OF I DONT KNOW WHAT IN THE TANK OUTLET. CLEAN IT OUT THREE TIMES BEFORE I GOT IT ALL OUT.NOW SHE STARTS RIGHT UP AND KEEPS ON RUNNIG,EVEN DID A LITTLE YARD WORK WITH THE FRONT END LOADER.^ THANKS SO MUCH TO ALL YOU GUYS. SPARKY