Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What color Red?

tractorfreak3

The question of all times, color match..Out here where I live chevy engine red/orange paint is about as close as I can come. If you have an hour or two to spend reading, try doing a search on paint. MPH

Tim, I believe it should be Simplicity Deep Orange. Don't know what off the shelf Wally brand would match, I've always used Simplicity paint.

Kris,where do you get your paint?My dealer tells me that they can't get the paint.I was going to do a color match at the local body shop supply store but then I can only use base coat clear coat paint system and thats big dollar for a working tractor.I also found that the local Ace hardware will color match it but I am not sure of the quallity of paint they have.I wanted to use a auto enamel with a hardener.The local body supply store told me that alot of the folks restoring cars that want the chevy engine enamel that is better quallity than the spray cans use a popular chevy color from the early 70's called Hugger Orange.I might try this on one of my tractors.

You can't go by the pictures you see posted. You can see the same tractor with pictures taken from different angles and light and they will look different shades of red and orange.One picture will look red, one will look orange.

When it comes to paint, nobody seems to have a definitive answer. The real early '50s & '60s tractors appear to be more red than orange. Club member Neil Surbey posted a nicely restored Wonder-Boy and 725. I believe Neil was a dealer, so I'll assume he has knowledge. The gallery photo was named "Full Circle", but it appears to be mislinked. Maybe Kent can investigate.

I've been looking for the same info and haven't found much. I tried several old Simplicity dealers in our area and they don't show anything for the older Simplicitys. the one I have has been repainted the wrong color. I started taking it apart in areas that maybe didn't get repainted to get a color to go off but have not found a good sample yet.

Dutch, Thanks for bringing that to my attention -- I'd accidentally named two pages the same thing -- "Full Circle" and overwritten the older one. Luckily, I packrat old email and could go back almost two years. Here's the link to Neal's gallery story: http://www.simpletractors.com/gallery/full_circle.htm And pictures of that incredibly restored 725 and suicide-stick Wonder-Boy... [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/gallery_images/NS_725-1.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/gallery_images/NS_Wonder-Boy-2.jpg[/img]

Before we go too far on the "orange" note the difference in the way the 725 and the Wonder-Boy look -- restoration and pictures by the same guy, and the photos in the same garage lighting... To me, the Wonder-Boy looks a bit redder... Having seen these again, someone may want to try a spraycan of Ford's old "Competition Orange" from the late 60's and early 70's. I had a '65 Falcon Futura that I painted that color, with white stripes, and it would look red at night, but orange in the daytime. It was noticeably darker than Chevy's "Grabber Orange" that someone mentioned, or Chevy's Engine Orange. I've compared those two colors, Competition Orange and Grabber Orange up close -- I dated a gal a few times that had a '69 Camaro Indy Pace Car Special, white with Grabber Orange stripes/trim, white convertible top and orange/white houndstooth check interior... Still one of my favorite cars of all time -- not so the gal!

Since nobody seems to know the exact OEM color, does it matter? Just paint it close and claim it's OEM. If your going to use automotive paint, you can have any shade or hue mixed. If your going to use "off the shelf" a spray cans, I guess I should post this again. The '96 paint is "redder" than the 7000 paint, and to me the '96 paint looks damn close to the early 725.

My two cents, for what it's worth.... I used the Chevy orange engine enamal on my 707. The color match was great but I didn't the shine I wanted; it has a dull finish. I spoke to Jeff Nemes and he told me the new Simplicity paint is almost a dead on match for the old tractors. Ill probably try it in the spring.

Thanks guys, I'll try the duplicolor and see, i have realized i have a pint of simplicity paint at my friends house, now to find out if it is deep or powder. thanks again Tim

• 4 weeks later...
Jack's Small Engines sells spraycans &quarts of Simplicity paint. Old p/n for orange is 103262 for spraycan,New p/n is 1685589.price $7.54 For the quart old p/n is 1685037 new p/n is 1685591.Price $19.64 White spray old p/n is still same 103049.Quart p/n is 1665032 for some reason this number comes up for {Tube Aluminum .3}?????