Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler Engine Block Numbers

IronPony

I may have found a 12 horse Kohler that will fit my AC712 but the guy does not have much info except these numbers that are on the block: F K301 23B8 Does anyone know what this number is or means? I need an engine that will replace a K301S. Dan

Dan, I beileve these are casting numbers and i don't think they mean anything to anyone except Kohler, because they distribute nothing about them. The K 301 is an identifier. If the bottom of the block has ears on it and matches the shape of yours it will work. Basically there 3 blocks that I am aware of. The Q series that have the straight sides and the sump bolts on with screws from the sump up into the block, most commonly used in Cub Cadets, the S series with the ears on the block, Simplicity etc. These have ears that bolt the sump on with bolts down through the ears into the sump. Some of the the S blocks have the block straight accross from corner to corner on the sides, and some have a recess that bellys out on the sides. If you have an S block with ears that the inside of the crankcase is rectangular, [straight on the sides] you can saw off the ears and drill and tap it to take the Cub sump. The regular S block you can't do this. Hope this helps, Remember its's free. Value accordingly. Al Eden [Note the tractor pullers are always hunting the Q blocks for the cubs]

Al and Art, Thanks for the words of wisdom. Found this block on the internet and can't go look at it. Guess I will pass it up unless the guy can get me numbers off the ID lable with specs etc. Thanks again! Dan