Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3416h

Charlieson

I bought a 3416H this summer. It starts fine. But the governor works back and forth like it is searching. I took the carb. off and it had gotten some moisture in it at sometime, because the bowl was corroded. I cleaned it up and replaced all of the needlevalves and gaskets. That helped a little, but it still does it. On a pull the governor opens and the engine runs smooth, but when it gets off the pull, it starts searching again. I took the carb off today and replaced it with the new carb from my 3212v to see if the carb was the trouble. It wasnt. Still searches. I am wondering now if the governor spring is set right or has gotten weak. I have a new fuel filter and all of my lines are clean. Any ideas? The 16 B&S has plenty of power and seems to have good compression. ddh

Check the intake elbow gaskets. They could be shrunken and leaking a little air. Makes it difficult to set the carb. Under load, the engine is running at the proper rpm's, but the throttle plate is open farther, allowing more fuel which compensates for the air leak. Pat

Sure sounds like air entering the mixture, but since you have tried other carbs i would also guess at the gasket on the block. i have seen worn butterfly shafts provide the same problem.

Charlieson, I also have a 3416H and I had the same problem a year back. My problem was the governor spring had broke. The butterfly plate/linkage no longer had any spring pressure on it so it rolled as the butterfly open and closed. This normally happened at idle. Installed new springs and check adjustment and tested. Works great. Try this.. when the engine is running, see how loose the butterfly plate lever is. This butterfly is the one with the idle adjustment screw on it. If it is loose try new springs(2). Hope this helps. Jeff

I have seen a weak or broken spring do the same thing. I am going to replace the gasket on the gooseneck at the block over the weekend. The other end has a new gasket. thanks, ddh