Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Stripped grease zirk

mowerman1193

Hi Everyone, I have a Broadmoor 717 that I got for parts and I was thinking about painting the sheet metal and putting as much of it together as I can then switching all the mechanical parts over to the freshly painted body from my working tractor. The parts tractor I have all stripped down to a box of parts.I noticed that there was not a grease zirk on one of the front axle tubes.I tried to put one in it but now I know why there was just a hole there.The threads are stripped out.Is there a larger zirk to use avalible?I looked at a couple stores and found all the same size.Is there another way to fix it using the same size zirk? Thanks for any advice,

Hi Kevin, my foley-belsaw cat. shows 1/4 and 1/8, it sell assorted straight, 45 degree, 90 degree, at $9.99 for a box of 25pcs. If the ones in you tractor are 1/8 you can drill, and tap it up to 1/4. Or just do a little spot weld on the 1/4.

Kevin Go to you trusty parts store and pick up a self tapping zerk. There are larger sizes that you would have to drill out and tap.

Thanks Guys,I thought there was different sizes but I have'nt found them yet.I have'nt looked real hard yet though.I wanted to know how I was going to fix it before I start sanding and painting. Thanks again

You can also get grease zerk fitting that you just hammer in a stripped hole using a small socket to protect the head. They do work very well and hold up just like a tapped zerk. Plus you do not have to worry about getting any metal fillings inside of the hole.