Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What size front shaft on a Kohler 16hp?

jdschool

What size shaft does a Kohler 16hp have? I am looking at putting a electric clutch pulley on my 716H in preparation for a snow blower. Has anyone ever put an electric clutch on a motor that has no front PTO? I'd like to know if there is anything that I need to know when installing this PTO. Is it a straight bolt on or is there more to consider? Any help you can give would be great.

All the 70's Kohler singles used in the Simplicity or Allis tractors were using a 1" diameter shaft just like the Briggs powered units. They made them that way so that one front PTO assembly could be used on both makes of engines. I have taken the electric clutches off the 300 and 400 series AC's and put them on 700 series tractors without any problems before. Sam

Updating this: This was written a long time ago, and I could be wrong to one degree or another. I know that the 7012/7010 kohler powered tractors I tore into  used a 1" shaft. But since writing this I have been into 914 tractors that used 1  1/8" shafts, and have clutches from 416's with 1 1/8" shafts.

Sam

Edited by SmilinSam
updating info
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info. I gather that any electric clutch that fits a 1" shaft should do the trick(?). I'm looking at a brand new electric clutch off another brand... it's less expensive and should do the trick for my snow blower.

I wouldn'r say "any" old clutch will work. The mounting plate will have to have holes that line up with holes in the block so the coil is properly centered. Sam

Does the Kohler mounting plate have 2, 3 or 4 holes and is the mounting plate square or triangular? Thanks again for the help.

The plate on the ones off the 300/400 series are squarish and have 4 bolts , one in each corner that correspond to 4 holes on the face of the block. I've seen the 3 bolt triangle types but Don't have a clue as to what they fit.

Something else I would like to touch on here while we are on the shaft size subject is that I have noticed members here selling clutches advertised to fit 1 1/8" dia shafts off of and for Simplicity Or AC Garden Tractors. I'm not entirely sure how that can be. I have had nearly 100 tractors or so through here in the last 3 years and all of them from the B-1/Simplicity 700-725 to the 300/400 series AC's, to the Homlite T-series, to the 900/7100 series using Single cylinder engines(both Kohler and Briggs) have all used 1" diameter shafts. All of them. I even just now went out and put my calipers on all I have here now, again, all 1". Am I missing something here....????????

I think the triangular units are used with vertical shaft engines and anchoring studs are used in three holes to keep clutch from spinning.

I've seen and heard of 1", 1 1/8" and 1 1/4" shaft clutches being sold, which is why I was somewhat confused. I am just starting to do my own work on my tractors and some of these issues can get somewhat complicated. I just don't want to buy a clutch and find it doesn't fit (nor was it ever intended to fit) my Kohlers.

No matter what kind of electric clutch you use, the tractor’s electrical system (alternator) must have the capacity and be up to specs. If it doesn’t, you’ll be in the middle of a job and have a dead battery. Anyway, if you’re talking about a “triangular” mounting like below, these are the most difficult to adapt. The rear and middle sleeve spacers must position the pulley in the correct location and permit the clutch to operate. I had to make my own sleeve spacers. Once you have the proper spacer sleeves, installation is straightforward. A single anchor prevents the clutch from spinning with the crankshaft. The clutch air gap must be set to specs. I use this type on my Sovereign with a Kohler Command V-Twin, which has a 1 1/8” crankshaft. If you want to use this type clutch, you'll have to determine your crankshaft diameter, length, and where you want the pulley located. Then, you'll have to get or make the correct sleeve spacers. [img]http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/clutch-seqa.jpg[/img]

Clutches with the “square” mounting bolt right up to the engine they’re made to fit. The drawback with these clutches is you can’t adjust the pulley location fore and aft. This is no problem if your attachment’s driven pulley can be adjusted (like a sweepster), or if the drive belt goes through an angle mount hitch (like a weed cutter). [img]http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/clutch-seqb.jpg[/img]

My '74 410S originally had a 1 1/8" shaft. The crank was bad and when I rebuilt it I got a 10HP with a 1 1/8" shaft. I was considering a heavy duty electric clutch (Ogura) off a ZTR. I have one in my garage. I picked it up because it was for a 1 1/8" shaft. Is mine an oddball?

It behooves me! I took the clutch off a 416 H and put it on a single cylinder Kohler 14 on a 7114. The 14 has a 1" shaft and it went on just fine. This could get confusing.....

According to the specs listed on the site the K361S 18 hp Kohler single cylinder has a 1 1/4" diameter crank shaft. It lists the K341S 16 hp as having a 1" diamter crank. I can verify the sizes on my 716-6 and 718H tonight if needed. I seem to remember seeing an adaptor kit being available for crank shaft/PTO clutch adaption GregB

I believe the engine manufacturer can build any shaft diameter the tractor manufacturer specifies. That's what the engine spec numbers indicate. If an engine has been replaced at some point, it's anybodys guess what it is.

Wow, a simple question turns into a major discussion! I appreciate all of the help and am going with the square, 1" setup for my 716. Thanks for all of the help.

There are a few clutches listed with Simplicity numbers in NAPA's Power Equipment Catalog. The number of the book is 978 and mine is a Feb.'02 issue. There are a lot of other brand parts in there also. Nice book though. ken

I got home and measured the shaft diameters on the 716 and 718. The 716 with a K341S is 1" diameter and the 718H with a K361S is 1.125" diameter. Dutch, that is what I remembered seeing, just never figured out when it was needed. Greg B