Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Weekend Project

powermax_paul

In an earlier post (what do you use for snow removal), Dutch said he used a rotary broom and it worked very well. I decided I should get my $78 Ebay purchase mounted to the tractor. Here's what I came up with, all I need is a belt! [img]http://www.epho.com/pkjorlie/broom1.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.epho.com/pkjorlie/broom2.jpg[/img]

Looking very good. I was fitting a sweeper my self this weekend on my Simplicity 4212. I sure dosen't seem as stable in the tractor attachment as yours. Can you lift the broom from the tractor? I will return with pictures but it sure dosen't look as good as yours. (I'm a programmer / Control engineer for a living so i'm not too good with a welder *g*)

Paul, Looking good....... I'm sure you'll be impressed with how they fling snow. Just make sure the entire broom is even with the ground, and just the tips of the bristles are touching. The brooms wear out 10 times faster if they're not set up perfectly.

Tue, Unfortunately this broom is set up with dolly wheels and a crank to raise/lower. I could put a ram on the crank mechanism, but don't know how often I'll be adjusting height. Dutch, The broom is worn down more on the lefthand side. So I'm gonna just have that side barely touching and the other side at a normal 2-4" pattern as recommended by mb-companies. The refills are $185.

Paul, It sounds like the crank is for adjusting the broom in relation to the caster wheels for working. You should consider fabricating a way to lift the entire assembly for transporting.

Dutch, Yeah, you're right. The crank raises and lowers the broom WRT the casters. It would be nice to lift the whole unit, but at this point I don't plan to take it off the premises. I guess I'd be happy to have the crank automated so I don't have to get off the tractor to raise and lower the broom. I sold the spare rear lift cylinder for the 4041 when I put the backhoe on it. I could have tucked that neatly in where the crank is. Oh, Well! Just fired it up about a half hour ago. Sure runs nice and quiet! You just never know whether the gearbox, chains, sprockets & bearings are good on something like that (used off ebay) until you run it the first time. I didn't know what type of machine it was made for, but looking at the MB website, the model number WBA indicates that it's actually an attachment for a walk behind machine. Had no idea if the clutch pulley on the tractor would give the right RPM, but looks like it's around 250-300 RPM (a little more than they recommend). It spins pretty quick! Looking forward to using it on snow

quote:
Originally posted by powermax_paul
Tue, Unfortunately this broom is set up with dolly wheels and a crank to raise/lower. I could put a ram on the crank mechanism, but don't know how often I'll be adjusting height.
hi Paul On my sweeper attachment there is build a Raise / lower mechanism but it only lift the sweeper 1" from the ground, so I will properly get in to problems when I need to drive up from the street to the pavement. I just finished the work on the sweeper and the tractor.I will try and spin it tomorrow ( It's getting late, so don't want to wake the neighbours :o)). I can adjust each side of the broom separately but I'm not sure how hard the sweeper should touch the ground?? Maybe Dutch have an idear? Sure can't wait until tomorrow, even though we don't have any snow yet, the pavement and driving in sure is going to get a rounde;) Tue

The casters on this one follow the contour of the pavement, and the whole unit can tilt up or down freely with respect to the tractor as you go over humps etc. It's kinda like a trailer that is being pushed rather than pulled. Here's a pic of the completed unit running: [img]http://www.epho.com/pkjorlie/sweeper.jpg[/img] And here's the 9020 Twins decked out in holiday atire: [img]http://www.epho.com/pkjorlie/twins.jpg[/img]

Tue, Regarding down pressure and brush life...... The MB Company (Paul’s rig) recommends > http://www.m-bco.com/technical/brushwear.html The Sweepster Company (my rig) recommends > http://www.sweepster.com/techtips/apr.htm What make broom do you have?

Looks good! Check with the Old Dominion Brush co. (ODB) for replacement brushes we deal with them for our brushes on our street sweeper and our sweepster broom at work.[url]www.leafcollector.com/products/waferbrooms.asp[/url]

Paul, Very nice! Now I want one of those brooms more than before. I bet they'll sweep the gravel back into the driveway real well......

Hi Paul, Great looking pictures. Had the tractor in possition with sweeper, my wife was ready to take the picture .... @#%#@@ no batteries. The pictures must come later, but I sure was looking forward to show the work. Dutch, Thanks for your links, they are a big help. My sweeper is a "no name" brand properly made by a local blacksmith somwhere in denmark. It seems to work ok though and I can't wait to get some snow and who knows maybe even a white Christmas ... Next project while waiting on the snow would be fitting a electric actuator to swing the broom left to right, now that is manual work...

quote:
Originally posted by Tue
Next project while waiting on the snow would be fitting a electric actuator to swing the broom left to right, now that is manual work...
My Sweepster has a fixed angle. If I want to sweep in the other direction, I have to turn the whole tractor around.

Dutch, Seems odd they built it that way. I mean it would have taken very little more fabrication to make it adjustable. I guess if it works in the right direction coming "out of the hole" it doesn't matter, Right?

Paul, The fixed angle is only a minor annoyance (just have to plan the work). My broom is 25 years old. Maybe that's all that was available at the time.(?) The fixed angle is still available ($2600), manual angle + $575, power angle additional $759. Get this..... storage stands are $300. Good excuse to buy another tractor and leave it hooked up year round.

Actually my broom is adjustable angle, but it will likely stay angled left, cuz there's no place for snow on the right side of my driveway. Is'nt it amazing what they sell these brooms for? There's little more parts than a snowblower or tiller! I'm sure you can find a Simplicity or Allis stand for 300 bucks or so! :D

Paul, good lookin set-up. It is too bad you sold your extra cyl, I paid 135 for a new one from JD. I was going to try it out when I found my starter problems..MPH