Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity Yeoman

jrosenboom

I have a couple AC's in the garage... Looking at a Simplicity Yeoman 627. Any info about this machine would be great! I was thumbing through the cross reference page and didn't see what Allis this is like (if any). Does anyone know this or anything else about this tractor that might be interesting? Is 7hp enough to do much with? I have a 718H & 917 now, I know it won't be anything like them. Do these have the infamous deep mower deck? How much do they usually go for? THANKS!!!

The Yeomans came with 32" mower decks. This was indeed the "deep" mower deck and cuts very well. The 7hp is enough to drive the 32" mower deck. Here in Simplicity country (Milwaukee, Wisconsin) they go pretty cheap - $100 to $200 in running condition. Tom

There really is no Allis equivalent to the older Yeoman or Serf, as far as I can tell. Allis made B-206 and B-207s in that timeframe, but they were made in their Lexington, SC plant. While they use some Simplicity components, I don't think there's a direct equivalent, like there are for the larger tractors. Even the larger Broadmoor isn't exactly the same as an Allis. It is only after 1973, when Allis closed the Lexington plant and moved production back to Port Washington, WI, that there are direct equivalents in the smaller tractors. They're good little mowers. A neighbor has a 1969-vintage, non-running Serf that he bought new and it's been sitting in his garage for years -- I've yet to strike a deal with him....

Thanks for the info!! Kent, WONDERFULL website!!!! I picked up my first AC this past June.. Found your website a few day's later and starting hunting. Now I've got 2 mowers, 3 decks, a snowblower and blade. I found it addicting. If I only had a bigger shop........Does anyone knows of any old AC's in or around eastern Iowa?? THANKS!!!!

The 700 and 725 were 7 and 7.25 HP and they can run a 42" deck. You have plenty of power. I wouldn't bet against you if you were to take on a modern Sears of "twice" the power(going by how they rate it now)....

I own a 616 Yoeman. I used the Yoeman to pull my sprayer, spreader, 36 inch wide aerator, home made drag, and 2 wheel trailer. Yoeman does a great job mowing grass. I found a blade to move snow last week. Great little tractor. Hopefully Yeoman will be repainted this spring.

Ive got two little 616s. They are after all "little" tractors, but sure do a nice job mowing, i had a little trouble getting my deck adjusted at first, but i get a kick out of those 3 little blades and that small deck, built heavier than my newer broadmoor. The hi lo sure produces a lot of power (Low,low). papamerkel, i bet its fun to plow snow with one...... Doug

John,I saw an old AC sitting in an alley next to a building in Tama Iowa this past June.Didn't get a chance to go back and ask about it.Might be worth looking into.8)

John, I have a vintage 1969 Yeoman 627 that started life with a 7 HP, and I used it to mow three lawns including a 1 acre country lawn. The 7 HP went thru some pretty stiff stuff and did the trick---even though the engine was pretty run-out when I got it in 1987. Three years ago I re-engined with the best fit from Fleet-Farm, an 8 HP B & S. --perfect fit. Now the Yeoman is a rip snorting horse. Have a plow but no traction. I think I need wheel weights and chains to do any good. / Curt2Deep

Curt, I would get chains before weights if it was a choice. I have a 707 with the plow blade and it was an ice skate without tire chains. I inquired with the previous owner and after a few days of searching, he found the box with the chains! Put them on and this will be my third season plowing three driveways with her! I don't have weights, I don't feel I need them, I have plenty of tracton. One thing to note, I have the standard, skinny tires which are not as good for mowing but I think they are better in the snow. Good luck. Jay