Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Two Bottom Plow

powermax_paul

Well, I finally got the bracket made for it. Now I have to wait for spring to try it out. It'll hook up to my 3pt hitch and accept two sleeve type plows. [img]http://www.epho.com/pkjorlie/plowbkt.jpg[/img]

Paul, Nice work! I have a buzz box like yours, and I like to take my pictures from a distance or paint first to hide some of the porosity. It takes almost constant practice to get really good.

Yeah, I know what you mean! I just set the camera at a lower resolution and it smooths out those beads very nicely! LOL Heres a pic showing the plows attached (now that it's cool enough to touch).:D [img]http://www.epho.com/pkjorlie/2bplow.jpg[/img]

Do you think you will have the traction to pull it? What are you doing with that old c4 on the floor I don't think it will work in that tractor.Bob

Paul, Looks good. Have a couple of questions.... 1) What did you use for tubes for the sleeve hitch pins? 2) I see paired holes, but how do you tighten for sway?

Bob, The C4 is for the Bronco II V8 project. Dutch, I used leftover 2" and 3" x 1/4" tube from the backhoe project and cut holes with a holesaw for 1/2" black pipe sleeves thru the tubes. The ID of 1/2" schedule 40 pipe is about 5/8" (a little tight, but I ran the drill down thru) For sway, I'll run a short 5/8" x 1-1/2" bolt thru the tube with a nut between the short tube and rear plow yoke. On the main tube bar I'll use a 5/8 x 4" or so bolt going thru both walls of the tube. Then a nut between the tube and the front plow yoke. On this one, I'll have to play with a little to see if I can double-nut inside the long front tube.

Paul, Thought maybe you found a source for lengths of heavy wall tubing. I went the water pipe route, and boring out solid rod. There must be a source somewhere...... I got tired of playing with taking "little" turns on the sway bolts, so I made sliding wedges. Works for me.

Dutch, I like the idea, but don't quite understand how you could easily make them. What did you use for material? Did you have to machine them? Wanna make me some?

You might need AG tires just to get the shine back in those plow shares, he-he. But other than that you should have plenty of power to pull 2 10" inch plows. I have seen David Bradley walk behind garden tractors with a 3 HP briggs pull a 8" single plow with no effort at all.

BLT, I do have lugged tires on the tractor I pull the plow with. (See weekend project post. It's the one with the front and rear blades on it.) The cab gives me another 200# weight or so. MPH, No snow here. We had a record-tieing 53 deg. here today and some thunder showers. Little muddy for plowing though.

Looks great Paul. You should be able to roll some dirt with that. Now, either your dirt has alot of tilth, or those powermaxs' are meaner than I thought. It'd take better than 30 horses with plenty of traction to drag that thru my red clay...:D I would love to use that one in my established garden though.

Hey Paul-nice work-I must have missed which tractor you are using to plow? I wonder if my sov would pull it.dogman (PS;good looking pups in your profile!). [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/dogman/cplow5.JPG[/img]

This weekend I'm picking up a lathe for my garage. For components for a sleeve hitch, etc. if you guys need machine work done, I'll try to work it in. I can buy any material at cost at work. I would be buying 20' bars of whatever, so it would be best for me to set up a make several parts at a time so I don't have material storage problems. The misses may have issues because I'll have to make her park outside to get all my tractor and machine shop work done. Looks like I better find a real good Christmas present.

MPH-this is my first year with this plow,but I put the whole garden in mounds and was trying to keep the dirt higher there before I went over it with the tiller.pretty much all turned out flat anyway! dogman
quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Dogman, what are you doing in that Pic.??? Hilling for potatoes?? MPH
[img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/dogman/tiller.JPG[/img]

John, Thanks, and yes it is a stick weld job. Welder (Lincoln Buzz Box) is in the background. The weld job quite possibly looks a lot better than it really is. Had trouble when I ran out of Lincoln Fleetweld 180's (6011) and went to a 3/32 Forney (6013) rod. The puddle I was seeing was molten slag instead of metal. Really threw me! Charlie, Is that a Powerking 1620, with the tiller on? I thought about buying one once cuz the attachments interchange with the Powermax. I almost think Powerking designed that tractor around the 9020's and 720's. I bought a Powerking PTO shaft drive tiller (new) a few years back and use it on my 9020. There's a powerking with a tiller, belly mower, soft cab, snowblower and ag tires at the local "green" dealer right now. Think they want $6995 for it.

Paul-that is my ingersoll 4016 with the tiller-I have that,the leaf vac,48"deck,snow blower,and now a new 2way splitter-all hydro hookup.It does the job(s) very well,but doesn't mow or plow as good as my sovereign.they compliment each other for what I need around here.Charlie(this is me with Tybo-formerly Tyson the Terrible following-now,THERE'S a STORY!). [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/dogman/vac3.JPG[/img]

I might be able to find you one around here-mine is an original simplicity,brinley's are easier to find.paid $80 for mine in very good condition.CJ
quote:
Originally posted by Charlieson
I need a plow for my tractor. Ive been watching around for one, but someone always beats me to it. ddh

they paid me 1k to take him-he is a wolf hybrid-(which I don't recommend!!)-now he is my "utility dog" for running the piss and vinegar out of the young ones,and totally trustworthy with us.guess I better say tractor or they will move us outta here!...what do you have? (tractor and dog?).CJ
quote:
Originally posted by JohnMark
Dogman, Cool look'in Dog in your photo. Your name "dogman" matches! JohnMark
[url="pop_download.asp?mode=Edit&dir=dogman&file=1066"][img]images/disk.gif[/img][/url]