Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

compost spreader

Hey everybody-I traded a couple hours dog training for a couple days using this green thing-worked pretty good.They wanted too much money for me to buy it,but I wouldn't mind finding something like this used-(even if it's green,I can always paint it)-anything like this in my neck of the woods?...(s.central Pa.) CJ [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/dogman/spreader.JPG[/img]

Saw those for sale somewhere, brand new of course, but I'm not sure where. I could swear it was Northern, though. Seems like they were well under $1,000.00. I'm thinking in the $6-800.00 range. I don't know how long they've been around, but I suspect not long. They appear to have been designed for today's hobby farmer who might have a couple of horses and a 4 wheeler to pull the cart. I've been looking at them myself, we've got a use for one with goats and chickens. Just didn't know if they really performed as advertised. Besides, I'm with you. The price is a little steep for something I'm only going to use once a year. SHF

hey stoneheart-if you are from Baldwin maybe it should be "sandheart"-(I logged around there when I lived near Big Rapids).The spreader was well OVER 1k-worked real good for fairly dry compost-(esp.goat poop)-doesn't handle wet& bulky,though.I forget who made this,but I can find out.should work real good for goat&chicken manure.belt rolls and fan flings-adjustable feed and fairly heavy duty unit.(so how's things in Mi.-I lived and worked all over the state,inc.UP!).keep me posted and I will keep my peepers open too.CJ [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/dogman/spreader2.JPG[/img]

how can we see it?(lacking the catalog,of course...website?).CJ
quote:
Originally posted by MPH
My newest northern catolog has a 25 bu spreader for 899, on page 39..MPH

Charlie, Yes, Northern has a great website! I've ordered a lot of stuff from them, especially when I built the backhoe. [url]http://www.northerntool.com/[/url] I'd like to find a spreader like that I could rent. Just seen them for sale though, and can't justify the expenditure. Horse poop is plentiful and would likely work well in one of those.

[img]http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/64171_lg.jpg[/img] Model 600 Manure Spreader Any 10 HP or larger tractor can pull ?Mighty? around. Manure mixed with hay and straw is no problem. No PTO required - great for small tractors or ATVs! 6 ft L x 2 1/2 ft. W x 1 1/2 ft. H, bed allows for big loads; 46 in. outside wheel width provides excellent maneuverability. Drag chain ratchet is driven by one wheel while rear beater is driven by the other wheel. Hot-rolled steel chassis. 16 in. O.D. high floatation tires. U.S.A. Ships From Mfg Delivery Time: 10-14 Business Days Ship Wt. 250.0 lbs Item# 64171 Discount Price... $899.99

quote:
Originally posted by powermax_paul
I'd like to find a spreader like that I could rent. Just seen them for sale though, and can't justify the expenditure. Horse poop is plentiful and would likely work well in one of those.
Paul, It doesn't fling the "stuff" like a manure spreader, but you can make a poor man's drop spreader from a regular garden cart. 1) Tilt the loaded cart not quite all the way, and use a chain to keep it in that position. 2) Make an offset rod for one of the cart wheels and connect a link to the cart body. 3) Raise the tailgate just enough to let the "poop" through. 4) As you drive, the offset on the cart wheel will shake the cart body, and the "poop" will get shaken out. With a little more work you could even run a belt and rig a paddle or even a salt spreader type wheel. Then the only thing missing would be the conveyor.

Doug-it would handle dry ashes very well,I should think.it's a heavy rubber 'belt',ground drive,adjustable opening(vertical shield with wing nuts),and when it hits the spinning blades spreads very evenly.that shield in the back drops down to keep the stuff from 'flying' around.it is made by "earth&turf".(downside;over 2k!).CJ
quote:
Originally posted by DougM
Charlie I wonder how that spreader would handle ash???? Doug

Dogman, Actually, the unit you borrowed looks somewhat more advanced than the one from Northern. Looking at the pictures, it appears the actual mechanicals are more refined. Everything in Michigan is icy. Wednesday was pretty bad. Today it's spitting snow. I'm trying to figure out how to hook the tow behind seeder solidly enough to the tractor so that I can back up and use it to spred ice melter and sand. Next time I'd like to be able to at least get down my drive. I'm actually in Chase, just East of Baldwin. Chase has one of the few pockets of clay in the county. Where we're at it's spotty. Clay by the road, sand by the house. Clay where I put the pole barns and coop. Sand by the time you get back to the pasture. And more rock from fist size to bowling ball size than you can count. SHF

stone(clay)heart-yes,I agree-the one I used is designed more for finished compost and would definitely do a better job of that...the northern would be ok for just distributing the fresh stuff,I think?...for the lawn I need the compost-pasture don't matter too much.also,the advantage of the rubber belt over maintaining a wood bed?...would appreciate more feedback on this.thanks,dogman(one more look). [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/dogman/spreader2.JPG[/img]

What's underneath the rubber belt? Wooden bed spreaders have been around for quite awhile, so I would think the maintenance repair issues would be well understood. I might be concerned about the belt. It seems like there would be a tendency for stuff to get stuck underneath. Who is the manufacturer? Maybe there's a website. SHF

stoneheart-made by "earth & turf"-no wood under belt,just a systemn of rollers.I hosed it down before I took it back,and had no problems getting to all the areas where dirt could build up.The unit is heavy-took 2 men and a boy to get it up the ramps and back in my van.I don't have a problem with wood,but it would be heavier,I think,and once you add the compost you are talking some weight.I have no previous experience other than a conventional farm spreader,and I know the wood beds rot out on them,and always need replacing sooner or later.The dealer has the demo I used available at a 'discount',but I have no place to put it,and would fling a lot of sh__ by hand before paying that much-especially if I get the Johny bucket to get the stuff near where I need to spread it.Does seem like a well made unit though,and I would rec.for what little I used it.CJ