Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Counting the days re:jbjr

roma3112

well i broke doen and just orderd a JBjr for my 3112h :) any of you guys out there have any tips for when i get mine in a few weeks :D

They're really very straight-forward to assemble and install, so no real tips there. I do have a few general tips: 1. If you have hydraulic lift, I'd make sure to adjust your lift rod to make sure you can get at least 1" below grade at the front edge of the bucket, so you can apply downpressure and cut/slice/scrape with it... 2. You need some type of counterweight to help lift a full bucket. Try adjusting your counterweight system to where it will "balance" the weight of the empty bucket. You can either add more weight to it, or increase the distance from the weight to the rear lift's pivot point.... 3. Give some thought on how to best manage and "control" the two ropes required. They'll tend to get in the way, and get wrapped around the clutch/brake pedal, if you don't. See John's site for some ideas on how others have dealt with them....

hi all I just got off the phone with john from johnny products, what a nice guy! seems very personable and helpful i look forward to using his product. Kent as far as a counterweight goes would you suggest the diy counterweight that is illustrated in the review of the jbjr you wrote? how hard is it to build one?

John, That's definitely the cheapest way to make a counterweight... I'd give you that one, if you want to drive out and get it some weekend or night. I don't use it anymore, since I have a factory one (with 2 donuts + 25 lb barbell "free-weight"), plus one of John's "Johnny Box" counterweight boxes with scarifiers as shown below: [img]http://simpletractors.com/images/johnny_box/bucket_down_small.jpg[/img]

kent thanks for the generous offer, i may take you up on it after the holidays, it looks really simple (ugly) but simple :) one question i have is as far as you having the chain in the top of the block i assume it is used to lift the block opposite to the direction as the front hitch is going, how does it connect to the top of the hitch? do you have some means by which it uses the sleve that say my rototiller uses.

One rope (red one) pulls the latch to allow the bucket to trip. The other one pulls the bucket back to reset it in its latched position. Many of the old trip bucket loaders for farm tractors required you to lower the bucket with the lift, and press down on it to reset. With this one, you simply pull the reset rope -- yellow one, in this case, but it came with a black one...

You can use a 1" pipe in the lift tube. Just drill a 3/8" hole through it so you can pin it in. I used the short, solid 1" rod that comes with a moldboard plow setup.

good idea kent i will take a look in the hardware section at work tomorow they should have a piece of bar stock that big.

It'll lift at least 6", maybe a little more, at the back, bottom edge... [img]http://simpletractors.com/images/johnny_box/transport_small.jpg[/img]

Kent, Great set up. Looks fairly easy to build also. It also looks like the weight box is fairly heavy guage in order to support the rippers.. Save some backwork moving rocks and the like around...

Yep... see the pile of rocks behind it... I've been slowly building rock retaining walls in the back yard. With hydraulic lift and counterweight, it'll lift and carry around 250 lbs or so. Much more fun when playing with the tractor instead of a wheelbarrow...

you all just answered a lot of my johny bucket questions.will this fit my sovereign? (guess I'll check the site-now how do I sell this to mamma?...)CJ

It'll fit a Sovereign just fine. If you want to use a counterweight on your Sovereign, though, you'll need to swap your rear lift cable to the opposite side of the arms on your lift shaft so that the rear works exactly the opposite of the front. As it is, you move the control lever the same direction to lift either a front or rear attachment. You need to be able to move the lift lever in one direction to lift the front, and in the opposite direction to lift the rear. Here's SmilinSam's late-1990's Massey with a Johnny Bucket... [img]http://www.johnnybucket.com/images/Sams%202800%20MF%20JBJr/2818rfrt.JPG[/img]

Kent-are you a fountain of info or WHAT!?...do I need to adapt anything to do what you suggested? not sure I understand exactly what you mean,but you sure got me thinkin'! thanks,dogman
quote:
Originally posted by Kent
It'll fit a Sovereign just fine. If you want to use a counterweight on your Sovereign, though, you'll need to swap your rear lift cable to the opposite side of the arms on your lift shaft so that the rear works exactly the opposite of the front. As it is, you move the control lever the same direction to lift either a front or rear attachment. You need to be able to move the lift lever in one direction to lift the front, and in the opposite direction to lift the rear. Here's SmilinSam's late-1990's Massey with a Johnny Bucket... [img]http://www.johnnybucket.com/images/Sams%202800%20MF%20JBJr/2818rfrt.JPG[/img]

Charlie, I've never done it, since I don't own a tractor new enough to have a lift cable. If you'll search the archives, though, you'll find lots of info on both rear lifts, counterweights, and Johnny Buckets...

guys i was wondering if any of you have seen made or have a JBJR with teeth on the cutting edge for digging in dirt. I realize that these devices are intended to transport and do light work, but even with light duty chores in mind I think that teeth on the front may be useful. What do you all think, i know kent has used one to do some hard diging in his yard, but i am sure he had a straight edged bucket.

roma-I don't know if teeth would help your digging much-someone suggested to me tearing it up w/the moldboard first,then scooping it out?-(sounded like a good idea to me).CJ
quote:
Originally posted by roma3112
guys i was wondering if any of you have seen made or have a JBJR with teeth on the cutting edge for digging in dirt. I realize that these devices are intended to transport and do light work, but even with light duty chores in mind I think that teeth on the front may be useful. What do you all think, i know kent has used one to do some hard diging in his yard, but i am sure he had a straight edged bucket.

This is the 3310 with the JBJr. I just got off the phone with John and now I have a Johnny Box on order, in orange of course! We tossed a few rough ideas around, I can't wait to get the box in and try a few things out. I have to get the 7114 going and try it with both the JBJr. and JBox.

Without looking first, is there an easy way to reverse the lift action for the mower deck on the new Sovereigns? I have to pull the hydraulic lift back to raise the deck and push it forward to lower it. This seems backward to me so I would like to reverse it. Thanks,

kirk I bet they make a really good addition to an already great tractor, i cant wait to get mine (JBjr) i think from reading kents post on the jbjr that getting a set of ag tires for spare rims will help out with traction, as far as the weight box goes i think i will look around for some scrap and try and make a cheap and ugly counterweight like kent did.

guys i just emailed john @ johnny prod i was at hes web page and couldnt find any pricing info on the weight box/ w. scarfer attachment he sells. any icea how much these are? thanks john b