Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Parts Availability/Sources

I'm new to the club and thrilled that I have finally been able to find a source of information regarding Allis Chalmers tractors. My question is; when the right tractor comes along and I finally do purchase my A-C tractor where are the best sources for parts?

I don't know about the AC 716 having an Onan unless there are two different models with the same 716 designation. My cross-ref shows it to be a Simplicity 7016 (Sovereign) equivalent. Anyone else know?

I have to agree with Jeff, above. The AC Model 616 used the Onan CCK engine, at 16HP, and later was known as the 620 and 720 when the HP was increased to 19.5. The equivalent Simplicity is the 4040 (later as 4041 and Pow'r Max). The AC 716 is a smaller tractor, the same as the Simplicity 7016 and did NOT use the Onan. It shares the same frame as the AC 712, for example, and was available as both a 6-speed (two speed pulley) and hydrostatic... As far as parts availability, the parts are pretty readily available for all through the Simplicity dealer network. In some areas of the country, the Agco dealers may be easier to find. But, my general impression is that to most Agco dealers, these lawn and garden tractors are considered a sideline, where with Simplicity dealers, it's often their "main line" of products and service. Be aware that in addition to the limited availability of Onan engines, discussed earlier, that Briggs & Stratton is no longer distributing shortblocks for the old cast iron 10, 12 and 16 HP engines used in B-series ACs, Landlords, etc. However, the parts to rebuild them are still readily available and relatively inexpensive. Another hint -- I personally think that the AC name has a much better chance of increasing their value for collectors as compared to the same tractor with the Simplicity name.... Must be the "big tractor name" or maybe it's the yellow paint -- I know that old garden tractors painted green and yellow are very expensive! 8o) You may want to consider finding an old AC and putting Simplicity parts on it, as needed. Note, however that the Simplicity parts are painted Simplicity orange/red, not AC Yellow or AC Persian Orange.... My opinions -- worth what they cost ya...

John, Any SIMPLICITY dealer can get whatever AC parts are still available, and that's a lot of parts. Of course, there are always a lot of parts for sale in our classified section. You may want to try to establish a relationship with a dealer, either locally or through this site to get some idea which models have rare parts on them. And certainly reading back through our discussion messages will give you a pretty complete idea of what would be a good machine. An AC 716 and 720, and 920 come to mind as machines to avoid, as they use custom ONAN engines, for which there are no know replacements, and few if any good engines floating around. Also, avoiding the diesels would be wise for the same reason. (otherwise, these particular tractors are monsters, capable of incredible amounts of work) I'm restoring a 67-68 AC B112, and haven't had too much problem finding anything. If you need to buy a lot of new parts, it will get expensive fast. Buying a restored tractor for under 1500 seems, retrospectively, to be a pretty good idea. I bought an engine-less tractor with 48" deck, 32" tiller and some vacuum system components for about 800, and the engine solution could range from a few hundred for a used running engine, to about a grand for a new Vanguard that would require modifications to use. Add in a couple of hundred for all the small parts, and we're at 1300 to 2000 invested, depending on which engine. Usually, the running Landlords and Sovs (and AC equivalents) run between 600 and 1000, usually including some attachments. This is especially true if you're buying privately. Keep in mind that prices range regionally. I live in the Northeast, where prices are usually pretty high. Buying from other parts of the country may offer lower pricing, but then you have to factor in shipping. Good luck in your search, and welcome to the club! Greg