Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Starter test

arjr111

I have a couple of the old starter generators. Is there an easy way to test them, without actually installing them. I'm not even sure they are the right ones for my engines, and may turn in the wrong direction. First, I would like to see if they turn at all. I tried putting power from a small 12v battery to the terminals, but that didn't do anything....thanks

Art, Read this link. It will explain how these systems work. > http://web.utk.edu/~tprather/FoothillsTractorClub/TechTips/PolarizeGenerator.html If you hook the Negative (-) cable to the SG housing (ground) and the Positive (+) cable to the LARGE terminal, the SG should turn.

Thanks Rob and Dutch, I did try hooking the neg. to the housing and touching the pos. to each terminal (they are the same size on both starters), and did not get anything. So, maybe they are not working or I might be missing something....think I'll try again.

Ground the case and connect positive to the "B" terminal. If it runs, put on a leather glose and grasp the pulley while running. If you can stop it it need help and if your glove gets real hot trying to stop it, what can I say.

quote:
Originally posted by BLT
Ground the case and connect positive to the "B" terminal. If it runs, put on a leather glose and grasp the pulley while running. If you can stop it it will need help and if your glove gets real hot trying to stop it, what can I say.
I forgot. Make sure it's a heavy leather glove.

Dutch and Bob, the test worked exactly as you described. I was probably not making good contact, trying to ground through the paint on the housing. They both turn. One turns the wrong way, but Rob had told me one was for a Cub, and would turn wrong...thanks.

Get a car battery and a pair of light jumper CABLES.Ground the generator with the negative battery cable and connect the positive to the armature which is the bigger one of the two.If by chance you put it to the field it will turn too!But slowly.I suggest that the generator be mounted in a vice during testing because if it is good you will not be able to control the kick.