Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
BLT

Sunstar question

BLT
Last week I bought a Sunstar 20, ('94 vintage), for a very cheap price. Admittedly it was "rode hard and put down wet". It never saw a shed and needs some paint and I knew what I was getting. I have a picture of it but haven't yet figured out how to attach it, but I'll figure it out. Kent has seen it. Mechanically its fine no leaks anywhere. Engine sounds like a Harley Davidson being that it's a V twin. Anyway with the steering I noticed that I get a very close left turn and a long long right turn. I have to replace the spindle bushings, but the toe in now is pretty close. I think I can even it out with an adjustment with the ball joint on power steering ram, if I can get that damned locknut broke loose. But I am wondering if that is the norm or I have to look else where. And no matter what you all say I am still keeping it. (grin) BLT

powermax_paul
Bob, Sunstar is a nice tractor. It's the closest thing to a modern day powermax. I'd take a Sunstar over the newer Legacy. I'd say it's worth putting a little elbow grease into! Does it have a 3pt hitch and rear PTO?

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by powermax_paul
Bob, Sunstar is a nice tractor. It's the closest thing to a modern day powermax. I'd take a Sunstar over the newer Legacy. I'd say it's worth putting a little elbow grease into! Does it have a 3pt hitch and rear PTO?
Paul no three point or PTO on backside. My 3112H has a rear (hyd) lift for my roto-tiller and my 7010 has rear(elec)lift for the 8" moldboard plow. I have only 15,000 sq ft lot property and out of that a 400 sq ft garden, so 4 tractors, 728, 7010-6, 3112H and now Sunstar seems kind of silly for that many tractors. On the other hand I have only paid approx $1300 for all four which makes it hard to say no when a deal comes up. Now don't ask how many Lawn-Boys I own. (grin) BLT

PeppyDan
Bob, I agree with Paul about the quality of a Sunstar, I now have two of 20Hp's. The first I bought from the origanal owner who was very meticulous about about it(The tractor was 8 years old and he was still touching up the mowing deck with paint about every third mowing). The second is one that is in need of some TLC and has a blown motor. To get to your question, my Sunstar #1 had a sharper turning radius to the left than to the right also. I adjusted it the same way you plan to. My Sunstar #2 I don't know about, steering wasn't working when I got. Dan

ka9bxg
Reminds me of a freind that said that he had to get another tractor he had on 29 tractors and he had 30 acres of land.He figured that he needed a tractor for each acre.I have to go out and count my tractors one of these days to see how many that I have and how many run.Bob