Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Counterweight question

roma3112

guys In anticipation of my new JbJr, i have been deciding what to do about a counterweight untill i get the $$ to a get a johnnybox for the 3112. My question is is there any benefit to using the factory type counterweight that just slides into the top hitch point on the rear of the tractor, vs the home-made kind kent put together using all 3 rear hitch points. I am just looking to throw somthing together quick that i can use till i can afford the johnnybox. If there is any chance of damaging the unit i will wait all together, if using that slide in 1point type weight is ok for now how much weight do you all feel is adequate? thanks john b

Do you have a factory type counter wt.??I'm mot sure how heavy they are but it will have to help some in lifting ease. If you don't have one, a 1 inch rod with some barbell wts will help but I'm not sure what to say for a max amount..MPH

thanks mph i dont know what it weighs either but i do rember from moving a few that it took a little bit of oomph to pick one up so i would say around 75 lbs for sure but thats just a guess

Here's how I did it with a factory counter weight. I just welded up an extension to fit the lift out of 1" bar stock and a short scrap of 1" pipe, moving the weight out for more leverage.

I also used one, then two collar weights moving them around to find the right balance. Too little weight, a full bucket is hard to lift. Too much weight, an empty bucket is hard to lower(raise counter weight). I have the electric lift on the 3310, good balance sure eased the load on it.

kirk that was exactly the contraption i envisioned, somthing simple and easy for me to peice together and weld up LOL

Roma, On my plow tractor, I used a piece of well caseing. filled with stones and concrete. I bolted this on, and leave it on. On the rear, I welded a hitch with 1 7/8" ball. It seems to work very well and doesn't look to bad either. JoeJ

According to the Simplicity price lists, the OEM rear counterweight weighs 22 lbs and the "do-nuts" weigh 25 lb each. On mine, I have two donuts, plus a 20lb "barbell weight" on the counterweight -- totalling 92 lbs, by my calculations.... As an example, this counterweight combination actually balances the approx 125lb HD angle/dozer blade that I now have mounted on the front of the tractor, so that in my hydraulic lift's float position the blade stays wherever I left it -- it doesn't bleed down and settle even after several days.... Remember that there's two variables -- the weight, and the distance from that weight to the pivot point on the rear lift tube. For example, Kirk (thedaddycat) extended his bar which increased the "leverage".... If you build something, I'd suggest that you leave the length a "variable" until you can experiment with the bucket mounted, then cut your final length to get the balance you want.