Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Generators

JonetteP

What luck have you guys had with the northern tool, or the generators/welders posted by Woody? I am interested because they are very usefull and just wanted feedback from someone who has used them. Thanks in advance. Neal

Neal, a friend of mine orders from Northern quite a bit and has never had a complaint. Everything he has recieved is as advertised and shipped promptly. Their hydraulic supplies are very good. Tools are of decent quality though not Snap-on or Craftsman class. Northern used to be Northern Hydraulics and some manufacturers I worked for in the past bought from them so take that for what it's worth. Larry

Jon, I bought a Century welder from them 10+ years ago and it hasn't missed a beat. I also buy hydraulic parts from them. A friend of mine recently (2 yrs + ) bought a Northern 5kw generator and he hasn't had a problem and the quality looked good. But I still prefer my 1961 Onan genset that I paid $50 for 15 yrs ago. The only problem with the Onan is that it weighs what seems like 400 lbs. I have it sitting on a furniture dolly and roll it around when needed. It also doubles as an AC snowblower shelf...

My father boucgt a log splitter of of Northern and it has been a life and back saver. No problems other than one blown hose. I to have ordered from them with no complaints.

3 or 4 years ago I ordered a 5hp b/s engine for my log splitter from Northern, arrived in timely fashion. And I in need of the splitter promptly installed the engine only to find that the block was cracked in the case area which leaked oil as soon as I tried to start it. I called them up got an rga # from them and returned the engine,two weeks later I had another engine which runs perfectly to this day. No problems,no 3rd degree,no hassle other than the time delay and the time spent prepping a bad engine. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again. ReedS

Evening All, I've ordered from Northern also. I purchased a set of large wrenches and a small puller set. Like Larry said , they aren't Snap-on or Craftsman, and I don't expect them to perform as such. They are a good tool for the price. My only complaint is that shipping to California is a little pricey. Sometimes I can find the same item at a local Harbor Freight for less money. Later, Chad

Neal, I have bought parts for several projects from northern over the last 4 years and have never had a problem. A couple of times one or two parts from an order would be back ordered but have never waited more than 4 days for the back ordered parts to arrive. At work we buy from them also and have only had one time when they had an item that they could not supply in a timely fashion because of to much demand for it. I have bought two belt drive generators from them and have had good luck with those also.:) Mike

i have had great luck with them both ordering over the phone and now over the net, i wouldnt hesitate to place an order or reccomend them.

I needed a tree sprayer that I could pull with my AC garden tractor. I picked one up at a Northern store far from home because I needed to be there anyway. We have no store nearby and the shipping charges were excessive. When I filled the sprayer with water (test run) the roller pump was locked up!!! I called the store and the manager sent me a new pump...no questions asked and didn't even want me to ship the bad one back. The sprayer has performed well for me, and I appreciate the GREAT customer service! Darryl

Neal,I have had a few honda generators of different sizes-this is the 3500,does everything I need to keep the place going.(like a couple weeks ago,power out around the clock during ice storm).They are quiet,efficient,and they run and run and run.Almost any generator will last if you take care of them,but the hondas and Kaws are quieter and cheaper to operate,although more expensive up front.Whatever you buy,make sure you get low oil cutoff feature,(auto idle great too),and make sure to start and let run awhile at least once a month.I was an electrician for many years,(and my father before me),let me know if you need any house hook-up tips.CJ (PS;are we supposed to be discussing this on the tractor forum?...Oh well,it's christmas so maybe they will let this slide!).[url="pop_download.asp?mode=Edit&dir=dogman&file=1164"][img]images/disk.gif[/img][/url]