Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tractor Value

Dutch

How many of you are concerned with the resale value of your tractors? If you are concerned, does that concern dictate how you use your tractor? What are you expecting the resale value of your tractor will be: 1) More than what you paid for it? 2) The same as what you paid for it? 3) Less than what you paid for it?

No resale concerns here, I wouldn't sell any of mine even if I was offered triple what I have into them. I spent way too many hours restoring them already. I plan on generations ahead of me still using them and their implements for as long as they please. I wouldnt think of abusing a single one (i.e. adding rb's) nor would I allow any of them to not pull their weight in work. I have roughly twice as much money into each one when comparing them to the selling prices I see at shows and on eBay. However, mine have been restored to outstanding mechanical condition.

Depends on the tractor I have a wonderboy 700 that I know is worth more than I paid for it but that is a show tractor only.Same with the b1 and some of my more rare tractors but most of my other tractors are work tractors. I dont know if they will go up in value but I have a lot of fun with them.

I use my tractors. They have a value that doesn't relate to money. I started with one and now have three (plus two other brands) The challenge of the older machines plus the satisfaction of making repairs is priceless in my mind. Steve

Well i can say that i wouldnt sell my 3112h or trade it for a new legacy or prestige if i could, but that is because i have a sentimental attachment to the the old gal. My other big-box store husquavarna that i paid 1,800 for i assume it would be worth less even though it is only a few years old, just because of the use it has, and the fact that if a guy has to give me 1,800 why wouldnt he run to home depot and pay 200,00 more and get a brandie new one. I think the value also dictates to how you use the machine as others have said, while i have a new machine and a 30+ yr old 3112 if all things were equal and i had to sell one i would sell the new machine because all it does for me is mow grass, while the 3112 while old it mowes, tills, plows, pulls it is much more useful to me.

The tractors I have are all for fun and working with them. As a hobby the money isn't the main issue. Time spent in the garage working on them and taking a pile of parts and making something out of it is very rewarding. That has more value than the tractors themselves. Mike

How do you put a dollar value on this excitement of his first test drive? [img]http://simpletractors.com/images/var_hydro/Dcp00447_small.jpg[/img]

I view these old machines, as pieces of history. As custodian, my desire is to pass them on, (whether to my son, or someone else) in hopefully, a little better condition. This does not preclude working the machines, just abusing them. If I sell one I would hope to get back what I put into it.

I kind of look at value in the reverse way, saying "gee I that didn't spend that much on mine", the Sunstar I got being a recent expample. If I was really hard pressed to sell them I don't think I would come out on short end. If if counted my own labor hours I have in each for one reason or another, I couldn't afford to sell any. There is a blue book on garden tractors out there somewhere, but for the stuff that is talked about here for the most part probably doesn't get honorable mention.(grin)

I rarely purchase a tractor for more than $100, so I hope it will be worth more should I decide to sell it. With the exception of my shop inventory, I don't consider my tractors for sale unless a very reasonable offer comes along. Last summer, someone wanted my unrestored 712-6 speed with 48" deck. Wasn't interested in selling it, but he finally offered a real nice 1991 Dodge Caravan PLUS a running, straight B-110 with 42" deck and two 36" snowblowers for parts, straight across the board. Didn't have a 110, so I went for the deal. Only thing wrong with the B-110 was that there were several holes drilled into the dash for a cigarette lighter and many other switches. There was enough of the two snowblowers to build one working unit. The Caravan is nice enough that I haven't yet decided to keep it or sell it. Guess it depends on how many more tractors come along! Pat

Resale value does not even play a part with me and my tractors. I have had them so long they have become part of the family by now. This is a problem i have with all of my toys. After so long i become too attached to them. I have a 3314 that i have owned for over 15 years that my father (who has since passed) found for me. I also have the 3416 that he used to own, so there are way too many memories there to part with. I do not think i would ever get so attached to any of the box store units if i had any.

Herb I fall in line with most of the guys. I never even think about resale of my tractors. I do know I can double my money on the 17GTH-L but by the time I finish the 3012 I may have more than twice it's value invested. Besides, if I sell one, what can I replace it with that can do everything these tractors do? And how long woud the replacement last? And like Mike said, what price can be put on the theraputic value these tractors offer. Larry

I buy all my tools with the intention of keeping them-I take care of my tractors and try to keep them original-(and clean)-but you gotta work 'em,or what's the point? It's nice to buy stuff that you know you can sell for just as much,(or more),if you want to upgrade or whatever,but not always possible.I think the most important thing is to inform the prospective buyer as much as you can about what they are getting-I know that's the way I like to be treated--what goes around comes around...CJ

I would have to say that I am somewhat concerned about my tractors cash value. Not that I ever plan to sell any of them but you never know what may come up. I try to keep them in good shape all the time and still use them for whatever I need to. I'll still come out ahead because they should bring at least as much as I paid for them plus I get real satisfaction and enjoyment out of them and that's worth a lot to me. Go see a movie and see what that costs. Greg

I bought my tractor as an alternative to a new one. Even after I paid my local dealer to rebuild the carb and install electronic ignition, it still cost me one-tenth the price of a similar new machine. It cuts grass beautifully, plows & throws snow, & tows a garden cart just as well or better than anything I may have bought new. I have used this tractor at least weekly for over a year now. I probably could not sell it for all I have paid out (not that I'm selling). But how much would have that new tractor depreciated by now? That's the benchmark I use. Relative value is much greater with the old stuff. Besides, it's hard to beat the styling of the Simplicities of the 1970's. Now if I could just get my wife to understand...

I would say that my running machines are not for sale,but if someone had to have one of 'em,and showed enough cash,it would be gone.It would have to be an outrageous amount of cash,though.;)

Herb, resale does't really enter my mind when I buy a tractor or a pile of parts that becomes a tractor. How do you put value on the satisfacion of restoring one of these old tractors? I have 3 tractors that are running and I use them all. Two other tractors fit in the pile of parts catagory and I'll have more in them than there resale value, and I plan on using them too.This is a great hobby!8D :)

I don't think about resale that much. Sometimes you pay a little more for something just because you want it, other times you get stuff for a steal. Besides look at all the fun we have for so little money, what a great hobby...

I agree that my tractors have more personal value than market value. Now having had a tractor or two for a few years makes me wonder how I ever did without, these days I almost look for a project that can be done with one. Being mechically inclined no problem is ever unsolvable although there are always the new to me kinds that make me realize that this very forum adds a priceless value to mine and everyone else's tractor. Happy holidays to all!!!!:D ReedS

i started into old garden tractors with my simplicity 700 that i still have and wont sell but you all know how it goes i have bought several over the years since then and i still have a couple i wont sell,a 67 john deere 110 and a bush hog garden tractor.the older the better i try to find middle 60s or earlier and i have tried to turn a fun into something thati can make a little money off of too,so i sell kohler and briggs parts and old tractors usualy by parting them out mostly these are tractors that are pretty far gone.some that we have parted included:cub cadet 122,jd 110, b10 allis and awheel horse commando 6.the jd parts seem to bring the most.the 110 was bought for $100 and parted for around $600

In all the years that I have been playing with lawn mowers and garden tractors, I think I have only had two machines that I picked up strictly for resale. These are my hobby ("toys") and when I get tired of one, I pass it on to someone else who needs one, and can't afford a new one, or someone else who shares my interest. I usually trade or give away. Just let a co-worker have a Craftsman mower and a 14Hp Vanguard engine. Charged him $50 because I delivered it and hauled his old junk away. Both mower and engine had been given to me.