Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Convert #990210 Sickle to Cable Lift

Dutch

Herb, Great job, as usual! Have you actually performed this conversion, so that you have some pictures of the "finished product?" If so, I'd love to put it in the Do-It-Yourself section of the main site... Thanks,

Kent, I have done the conversion. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to take a decent indoor or close up photo since my Mavica bit the dust.

Fantastic Herb! Now I just have to find two sickle bar mowers (one for 17GTH-L,one for 3012) You can bet this will be put on a disc for permanent records with your permission. Larry

Great job Herb- Are you planning on posting some detailed sketches for the brackets? I'd love to do this with mine (seeing how I never did receive the lift handle for the bar I bought on eBay) Dave

quote:
Originally posted by Dave-Saratoga
I'd love to do this with mine (seeing how I never did receive the lift handle for the bar I bought on eBay)
Dave, I know your eBay sickle bar story, but most members don't. I know you'd rather not mention names, but I just don't want others to get the impression it was an item you bought from me. Like many other club members, I go out of my way to satisfy those with whom I do business. Unfortunately, a few "bad apples" taint everyone. Anyway, exact dimensions of the brackets is not important. Any appropriate size angle or channel iron can be used. The brackets have to be custom made to accomodate the size spring used. Merry Christmas...............

Sorry Herb- Didn't mean to imply it was you I bought the bar from you - was just a comment that I liked your design and thought it would be a nice alternative to the handle. As to a handle for my bar - Sam was kind enough to loan me one for fabrication. Just needs to be painted at this point (too cold now for that). BTW, what are then numbers assigned to the pulley, bushing, bolt, nut & cable? you have a merry Xmas and happy New Years, as well Dave