Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rebuild a hi-low on a Broadmoor?

Tom_Byrne

The hi-low on my 707 Broadmoor slips when it's in low but works fine in high. I would assume it is time for a rebuild. Any advice on this? I have never had one apart and have no clue what to look for or replace. Thanx!

Really theres not many parts too them. The gob of heavy grease inside is the worst part of disassembling. I'd check for worn keys/keyways on the transmission shaft first. If you find nothing out of sorts there I would inspect the teeth on all the gears and ring inside. Sam

Tip on the small gears inside that I was given by Al Eden.... If the teeth are worn, simply flip them over and wear the other end of the gears... only one wears, where it's engaging the larger gear. These appear to be the same small gears that are used in the differential assembly, but I'm not sure of that.

Thanx for the advice guys. I'm going to check both those things out when I can get her apart. Snow is forecast for tonite and tomorrow in New Jersey and I hope the little girl can plow in high range. We shall see! HAVE A GREAT CHRISTMAS!:D

Here's an exploded view of one next to an assembled one, very easy to do. I think it takes two sockets, an allen wrench and a 1/2" wrench for everything.

kent, The gears in the hi/low and the ones in the differentials are showing 2 different part numbers, so it would require a visual side by side comparison to see...

Thanx for all the advice and the photo guys. If you read my snow post from yesterday and the update today you know I had better get started on the job. High range just don't cut it when it gets deep! Thanx again everyone!