Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Dual wheels for a 3410

Chris727

Has anyone out there fabricated their own dual wheel spacers? I got an extra set of wheels and tires and thought duals would be good on my 3410. I might even throw duals on my JD110,if it can handle it, being that its green.?

Chris, I made a set for another machine several years ago. Don't have a set for any of my current tractors. I used 3 inch pipe cut with a pipe cutter so that ends were square. I laid out the lug bolt centers on a computer along with the flange center and drew a circle to represent the pipe. I then laid the paper on the plate that I was going to use for the flange. With a spring loaded center punch I punched the hole centers right through the paper. Also punched the plate center and a few holes on the circle to use to line up the pipe on the flange. I drilled the lug holes, and a hole in the center. Placed a threaded rod through two flanges with the pipe between, and tightened nuts on threaded rod to hold assembly together. During this assembly I lined the pipe with the punches that I had made to center the flange. Welded the assembly and removed the threaded rod. Spacer complete Be sure that one flange has clearance holes for bolts to go through, and the other flange has threaded holes for bolts to screw into. Have Fun!

Art, I really don't have a good way to make the wheel flanges round. A person would need a lathe that could turn these flanges, in order to sell them to the public. I burned mine roughly round with my welder, but they weren't pretty. They can't be seen when assembled. The parts would have to look good to sell. The lathe work is why they cost so much. Takes quite a bit of time. I have a small homemade lathe, but not good enough to do this type of work. I use it mainly for bushings and pins.

i might give this a shot, cant u just LONG bolts to go through the wheel weights wholes??? let me know how stupid this idea is brendonv

Brendon, The tires are wider than the wheels. You need something to hold the wheels solidly together. If you just use bolts they will continually move when one wheel is loaded because the tire will flex. You will not be able to keep them tight enough.

Brendon, I've heard of people making a hoop that fits just below the lip of the rims to hold the two wheels solidly in place, then use long bolts like you're suggesting to hold them together. You can heat and slowly hammer and bend a piece of 1/4" steel, 2" or so wide, to make the hoop, then weld the ends together when you have it sized just right. Never tried it, but I've heard of this from what I consider a VERY credible source....

I used the idea that Kent described to put duals on a tractor. I had a machine shop roll 2 bands out of 2 1/2 inch wide flat steel that just fit inside of the bead flange on the rim. Then I use 4 bolts on each side to hold the rims together. It doesn't take very long to switch from singles to duals, and you can do it without having to use a jack. I built the duals so I could pull stuff up the steep sandy road behind my house and they have worked well. :) mike

What Kent suggests will work fine. Many farm tractors use this type of setup. They're called "band duals". I think 1/4" steel is overkill. Just went and measured the bands on my 150 horse tractor, and they are made of 12 gauge. On my 100 horse, they are made of 14 gauge. Either 14 or 16 gauge should be plenty for your tractor. Just lay a straightedge against the tire of the tractor and measure from the tire edge to inside the upper lip of the rim. Double that amount, add the distance you want between your duals, and you will know how wide the bands must be. Get two strips of your determined width, and slightly longer than the circumferance of the rim, inside the lip. Sheet metal this light, you don't need to heat. You can easily form it by starting it in the lip and working it around the rim. You can then see the exact length to cut it so that the ends butt together. Cut and weld from the inside, then weld the outside. Grind the outside edge smooth to clear where it fits into the rim. As far as long bolts, farm tractors use what are basically eye bolts on the main wheel. Bolts with a hook on the end are used to attach the dual. If you have wheels that you want to use strictly for duals, you cut the center out of the rim, just below the holes for the wheel weights. Gusset the remaining rim center on either side of each hole. Weld the bands to the dual rims to make them a complete unit. Makes the job of installing and removing duals a lot easier. You leave the J-bolts in the dual, set the band of the dual into the lip of the main wheel, hook the J-bolts into the eye bolts and tighten the nuts. If you choose that route, the J-bolts cannot have too much of a hook in them or you cannot slip them into the eyebolts. You will have to weld the eyebolts to that they cannot open up when you tighten the duals. This will work well with wheel weights on the main wheel, by using eyebolts to attach the weights. Pat

Again, this sound like a kit, that could be fabricated fairly easy, by some enterprising do-it-yourself-er, familiar with the process, then sold for good $$.. As you can see, I'm trying to get someone to do the work for me...:D

The quickest way to make the bands is ti get well casing or round pipe that fits the rim and have a band saw cut the slices. Don't worry about overkill, that is just extra weight you won't have to add. Come to think of it, a fellow I know uses wheel weights between the tires to space his duals in a Wheel Horse. Just some thoughts. Larry

There are some spacers on ebay every once in a while of the band type made out of PVC pipe. They have been selling for around $30. I have posted them a few times in the ebay forum. I would think One of those white plastic pails you see every where and can get for nothing would work. Just find one the right size and cut a band out of it.

I have made several of them for friends. I just weld 3 tabs on the flanges on the spacers I make, that fit just inside each wheel center opening. Keeps them centered and doesn't matter which wheel is carring the weight at any given time..

Dirtsaver, Im I right in assuming,that if I put the whee weights in between the 2 sets of wheels and tighten them really tight that they will in fact stay there and do the job??? Sounds too easy to me,but Im gonna try it anyay Thanks ,. Pete