Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

power steering on ac620

cuda70

hey cuda70 i was interested in seeing more of how you hooked it all up - looks good - what did you use for a pump and where did you locate it - also how is it all hooked up to the steering - what pumps and stuff did you use ? - i have read alot of prev. posts about using old steering pumps out of cars and such but never actually seen anyone do it or post pictures - thanks see ya

How do you connect from the steering shaft to whatever valving you used? The idea looks reaonable so far. Any idea what the response time on turning will be? SHF

well guys did not use a pump, just spliced into trans before the relief valve.plus did not use a powersteering box, all are to big an bulkey. i used a steering valve instead. its nice an small an fits in same spot as old steering box. have lots more pics if you want them. total cost less than $500.00 in parts. next one i do will be even less.it turns great an i used a u-joint an steering column for a street rod. a simple set up once i figured out everthing

Have you got a picture of the valve assembly? What did you use for lines? It kind of looks like brake line in the pics. Steve

here is the steering valve its a four port valve, also the 36spline shaft to the steering wheel ,also the u-joint to connect them.

Not being familiar with this series of tractor, I had always wondered if this were a possibility. I constructed a very similar power steering setup on my 1956 Minneapolis-Moline UB diesel. Another thought I had, but don't know about availability, is the power steering unit from certain cars. I know that at least GM and Ford, on certain models, used a cylinder/valve combination on a manual steering gear. One end of the cylinder was fastened to the frame, and the other end to the tie rod. When the tie rod was moved by the manual steering gear, it actuated a valve in the cylinder to extend or retract the ram until the cylinder was centered. It was power assisted steering, rather than a true power steering. The latest model to use them, that I am aware of, was the Ford Maverick/Mercury Comet. If these are readily available, I would think this would be a very easy installation. Pat

Have you got a picture of the steering shaft attached to the valve and in the tractor? Just trying to figure out if you had to change the angle of the shaft. Steve