Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

auger

Okay guys-here is the auger.You should be able to see where it's kind of chewed up-I was going to go out and try to grind down the rough spots-do you think that's necessary?(doesn't rub anywhere when turning).Also,that belt kinda worries me,they say there is a kit to correct it,and the way it's on now will just wear the belt out faster.I will try to get a pic of that and put it on here later,maybe one of you has an idea that I can do myself to fix it permanently?(just hope it doesn't jump off).CJ [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/dogman/auger.JPG[/img]

CJ The auger doesn't look bad at all. You should see the auger on one of my blowers. It looks more like a chipper grinder than a snowblower auger.

As long as you're not getting significant vibration to damage the bearings, I'd say you're fine. About 2" of the corner on one end of my auger is folded back -- looks like it hit the corner of a curb or something in its prior life.... Seems to still work fine, though.

thanks guys-snow has slowed here some,neighbor is out on his cub cadet and it's just pukin the snow a little-hope mine works better than that! (Maynard-I will try what you suggested later,thanks again for all your help).CJ

charlie I would agree with kent, as long as its not vibrating it should be ok, mine looked mych worse than that. I reconditioned the blower over the summer welding up some rot-holes new bearings ect, when i got to the auger i had to straighten and even gring a lil bit, but i only took off what i had to to stop the rubbing. Glad to see you are leaving the sovereign inside all nice and warm ;)

TIP Solution to bent and vibrating auger. With engine wide open push blower in to a snow bank with allot of heavy snow The full width and height of blower loading the engine a good amount and blow as much as you can. The auger will self straighten. I have done this a number of times. IT works.

Well...,it blew ok for a couple passes down and back the asphalt drive-it was vibrating quite a bit,but I think part of that was due to the belt 'flopping' all over the place.I was going slow but it would load up and blow in spurts.Then it started just pushing the doggone heavy stuff so I tried ramming into the pile and ZING! off popped the belt.Thought about fooling around with it-(for about 2 seconds)-saw the whole unit was just packed,so I put that pony away and got mamma to dig it out while I fired up the honda.Thought about putting the chains on the sov with the 42" blade,but she did look all cozy&warm(and clean),so I went with the honda 300 and the 48" blade.Left the barn figuring I would be back soon for the chains,but it blew through it no problem,with lots of side swipes,of course.By then the cub next door was dead in the water,so I plowed all the neighbors and the lane out-probably a mile of plowing all told.(seems like it,I was on that Japanese mule for 5 hours or so!) I think the blower would have been good if I had been out earlier,but boy did that snow ever get heavy fast!(was close to 40 degrees by noon). Figure we got about 8 to 10" right here and up to 18" North.Anyway,sure glad I have backup machines and even though I know the sov would handle it with chains,the honda is faster.(kills my arm and shoulder lifting that sucker manually though).Love my tractors,but I sure respect that wheeler-well made and hard working machine.thanks again to all who offered advice,and hope you all had a nice christmas.CJ

Nothing yet here up north Here are a couple of pictures of a well used blower. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2//attach/UCD/Blower1.JPG[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2//attach/UCD/Blower2.JPG[/img]

CJ It was new when I got it and it has been used to it's fullest. It has earned its keep and then some. The reason I still have it is it will still blow snow with the best of them and if my new one breaks during a storm it will be on my tractor in about 45 min. ready to keep blowing. It has been my expererance that a piece of equipment never breaks down when the parts stores are open. The reason I have a new blower is I got one heck of a deal on it $525 Brand new with an electric spout rotator. Otherwise the old one would still be on the tractor.

Looks like ice, mixed with sand and rocks..... I take that pic as a testament to the rugged durability of this equipment under the hardest of use!

If I told you guys the war stories of what that blower has been though (or what has been though it) you wouldn't believe them. Just wish I had some pictures to show you. Yes kirk it is rugged equipment. It has its weak points and I have found most of them. Like this blower it wasn't designed to be put though what I have put it though and it is still going, just on r&r now there if I need it.

Maynard, That is supposed to be a snow blower, not a bulldozer blade!! Or, maybe you've crushed too much ice for CC & 7up over the years.. Happy New Year...

Maynard, that looks like my neighbor's snowblower. Never gets close enought to his woodpile. Personally, I think he is trying to use his snowblower to throw the wood to his house so he doesn't have to carry it! I don't think anything but the flighting on my auger will ever bend. My 42" always had a slight vibration in it, so I took it into the machine shop this past fall. Found the stubshaft on the outboard end of the auger had not been welded squarely when the blower was built. When the machinist cut the stubshaft out to reweld it, the tube was rusting from the inside and was fairly thin. It is basically made of exhaust pipe with a stubshaft welded into each end. After a little discussion, we decided to replace the tube. Went with 2 1/2" schedule 40 black pipe, and a solid shaft running all the way through on four hubs. The completed unit was balanced at 3000 rpm. When I picked it up, I damn near gave myself a hernia. It really runs smooth and quiet though. Pat