Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Onan Starter confussion

MPH

Feeling santa came in the mail box yesterday I went out and put my new soleniod on the 4040 starter. hooked the jumper cables up to the battery post, took a jumper wire from the switch terminal and touched the bat post, soleniod kicks in but he stater won't spin, if I put power to the motor side of the soleniod the starter spins good.. The one I got off that ditchwitch onan acts the same way. Feel sure thats the way I've always tested Dodge starters. HELP!! thanks..Merry Christmas to all...MPH

Maynard, thats the way I had it hooked up, in rereading my post I realize it doen't sound like I was thinking and thought I was writting. I only refered to the end of the cables I was hooking to the starter, sorry for the confussion...MPH

Marty I forgot to add you should then short between soleniod Batt. terminal and small terminal on soleniod. Batt + on big terminal is power to turn starter shorting to ignition terminal on soleniod gives power to energize soleniod.

Put the volt meter on the motor terminal of the soleniod, when I have the jumper from the ign terminal to the battery terminal, thus energizing the soleniod, I only have 1.7 volts going to the starter motor, just barely turning. The one off the ditchwitch is getting zero, think I might pull it apart tonite and check the contacts inside the soleniod.. MPH