Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
BrendonV

b-10 dif pics

BrendonV

what parts EXACTLY do i ask sandy lake for, from my 1963 b-10!??? thanks brendonv

BrendonV
hub is shot...

thedaddycat
I crossed the B-10 to either the Landlord(original 9 HP) or the 2010 Simplicity tractors. I looked up parts and part numbers from the Simplicity manuals I have. Judging by the pic, I'd get the following: 8 Differential pinion gears, PN 158579 8 Differential spacers PN 121084 1 Wheel hub and gear w/ bearings PN 164214 Also look over the Pinion Differential Spindles and replace if damaged. This should be the right side traction control hub with the two cap screws to adjust the slippage. If you can't get one of these, look for a used one or upgrade to the new one-peice hub. If you upgrade you'll need the longer axle shaft, too. I have a spare differential and axle shaft from the 3310.

UCD

Assembly Differential assemblies that employ internal springs are assembled as described in the step-by-step procedure below. The earlier style differential assembly without the internal springs does not present pinion gear alignment problems and is easily assembled using Figure 8 as a guide. In this case, first insert bolts that serve as pinion gear axles through the outer cover (the one with the lip for the rubber seal). Coat all internal parts with grease as each is installed. Then install the inner cover (without lip) over pinion gear axle bolts and secure the covers together. Before installing the differential assembly, pack extra grease (use a good grade of lithium base automotive chassis lubricant) around the gears. 1. Insert eight bolts that serve as pinion gear axles through holes from outside to inside of outer differential cover. The outer differential cover has the lip for the rubber seal. See Figure 9. 2. Set outer differential cover with lip and bolt heads down on a flat surface. Coat portion of bolts that will be within covers with grease. (Use a good grade of lithium base automotive chassis lubricant.) 3. Inspect one ring spacer and grease face that shows the least wear. Install this ring spacer over the eight pinion gear axle bolts with the greased side facing up. 4. Coat all eight spindles with grease and install one on each pinion gear axle bolt. Always use new lubricant. Lubricant removed earlier should not be used. 5. Coat one spring and one pinion gear with grease. Install these items, spring first, on a spindle. Repeat this process three additional times, installing a spring and pinion gear on every other spindle. 6. Place a differential gear between the four pinion gears that are already installed and rotate the latter until all four mesh with the differential gear at the same time. Then remove the differential gear. From this point on, exercise care to prevent rotation of pinion gears once they are installed. 7. Pinion gears and springs must still be installed on the four remaining spindles. Coat a pinion gear and spring with grease. Place pinion gear over an empty spindle, rotating it until its teeth are centered in gaps between teeth on adjacent previously installed pinion gear. Then allow the pinion gear to drop straight down on the spindle and place spring over spindle on top of pinion gear. Repeat this process three more times until a pinion gear and spring are installed on all eight spindles. 8. Inspect remaining ring spacer and grease face with least wear. Then install ring spacer over eight pinion gear bolts with greased side facing spindles. 9. There are six larger bolt holes and one smaller alignment hole around the outer rim of the inner cover. Matching this alignment hole to a similar hole in the outer cover, install inner cover over the eight pinion gear axle bolts. 10. Obtain six 1/4-20 by 2-inch long cap screws and mating nuts. Install these items in the six holes around the rims of the cover halves. Do not attempt to draw the cover halves together with these cap screws; the cap screws are being used only to keep the covers aligned during the next step. 11. Install locknuts on the eight pinion gear axle bolts. Tighten locknuts successively in small increments to draw covers together. To avoid cover damage, stop tightening of locknuts if resistance suddenly increases as pinion gears are drawn together. In such cases, it will be necessary to return to conditions of step 7 and realign the pinion gears. 12. When covers are drawn together, remove cap screws and nuts installed in step 10 and replace them, one at time with the normal 5/8-inch long cap screws, lock washers and nuts. 13. Remove locknuts from eight pinion gear axle bolts and install carrier over bolts. 14. Reinstall locknuts on carrier and tighten. 15. Pack extra grease around all pinion gears within differential assembly Installation The installation procedure given in the steps below may be used whenever the axle is already installed in the tractor. Steps 1 through 2 must be done if retaining ring and keys were removed from the axle tube. After cleaning and oiling the axle, the other parts can be installed by simply inserting and slipping the axle through the axle tube. To complete the installation, rotate unit until carrier keyways are aligned with keys on axle tube. Next, drive differential to seat carrier on keys. Finish by installing left wheel hub and the two wheel and tire assemblies. 1. Insure that retaining ring (A, Figure 10) is installed on transmission axle tube. 2. Obtain keys for differential carrier. File small chamfer along side and top edges at one end of keys. Install keys in keyways (B, Figure 10) with plain end against retaining ring (A, Figure 10). Tap keys in keyway with brass hammer. Be sure that keys remain butted against retaining ring. 3. Place differential gear keys in axle keyways with outboard ends flush with slot for retaining ring. Wrap keys twice with electrical tape and squeeze them home with channel lock pliers. Then remove tape and clean any adhesive off keys and axle. 4. Position differential so carrier keyways are aligned with keys in axle tube. Drive differential on axle to seat carrier on the keys. 5. Slide axle through differential as far as it will go. 6. Locate and grease spacers (C, Figure 10) that were originally installed between differential (D, Figure 10) and differential gear (E, Figure 10). Then slip these spacers over axle and against differential carrier. 7. Coat differential keys (F, Figure 10) and axle with film of oil. Then slide differential gear (E, Figure 10) over axle onto keys. Buck left end of axle with a lead hammer while driving gear into place using tubing slightly larger in diameter than axle. NOTE: When properly installed, outboard face of differential gear is flush with groove for retaining ring. See Figure 10. 8. Install retaining ring (G, Figure 10) in slot on axle. Then locate, grease and slip axle washers onto axle. 9. Cover differential gear with coat of grease. 10. Pull axle from left side of tractor, rotating axle enough to align differential gear with pinion gears, located inside differential. 11. Tighten set screws (C, Figure 6) in set collar (E, Figure 6). 12. Complete installation of right wheel hub, left wheel hub, and both wheel and tire assemblies following separate installation procedures for those items.

thedaddycat
I saw an ad in the classifieds for an entire differential on e-Bay, price was ten bucks last night when I saw it. I can't find it now, but have sent a message to the seller asking about it. Do you still need these parts if available?