Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

ADAPTING old attachments to new tractor

roma3112

guys I was just wondering as far as the attachments i have for my 3112h, I have the roto-tiller, dozer blade and the snow thrower(single stage) My question is has anybody ever adapted any of these to work on the newer 7000+ series of sovereign, more specifically if i buy a 98 99 or 2000 sovereign is there any chance of adapting any of these old to work, or is there anything i can buy say a newer style mount to fit an oldder attachment? Thanks for your help john b

As far as Rototiller goes, no direct fit, but that might be salvaged, even tho PTO clutching is different. I have a 7010 and was going to adapt rototiller from the 3112 I have but never got around to it. 7010 has same clutching arrangement as the Sov you are talking about. You might even get away with dozer blade. You can look in the 'What Fits' section here, get some mfg numbers download and look some parts and operator's manuals. Maybe selling dealer can help you out.

John: I have a 17GTH-L, same as a 7117, and a 3012.The blade can be made to fit, but you have to cut off the lift arm and weld it back upright and angled away from the tractor to clear the hood of the 7100 series. I believe Herb or Maynard has a pictorial on that. The snowthrower will fit with no mods, you just need to find the hitch for the 7100. As for the tiller, I am working on that now but am a long way off from knowing how it will work. Like Bob said, the clutches are different but that should not be a big deal. My main concern is adapting the old style PTO setup to clear the hydrostatic rear end. May just be a idler pulley or bracket change. Luck to you John! Larry

All attachments from a 3112 will fit the newest Sovereigns. You may have to get the proper hitch, modify the hitch, get the proper belt, or add some minor components.

John-Here is the pic I showed you the other day-this 42" blade was off my 7112.The dealer told me it would have to be adapted,(as stated in previous post here),but it hooked right up with no problem,and plenty of clearance.Maybe they were referring to the dozer blade? I was under the impression that just about all the attachments fit the sov directly,or with minimal adaptation.Anyway,these guys know a lot more about it than me for sure! CJ (PS;you definitely want to try and find one with the rear lift kit,or have one lined up?). [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/dogman/sovblade.JPG[/img]

Charlie: the blade I had to adapt was the older 46"HD one with the shock springs on the blade. That may make the difference. Larry

10-4 Larry.John,let me know if you need any closeups of any part of my 99(?) sov.somebody on here told me what # on the tractor would determine exactly what year it was for sure-where was that again? Also,I'm pretty sure that I have the regency 'commercial'48" deck.I will get those nos.today and post them.gotta go train a dog now.CJ

The only problem with mounting the older 32" tillers on the newer tractors is the tillers will run way too fast with the pulley arrangement as it is.

thanks guys i owe you all one! after fighting with my old gal this morning Nothing serious but if i had the day to waste i would baby it and get the job done, but when you have to go to work in an hour and have to put up with the minor inconveinences of using a 3o + year old machine it gets aggrevating so i think i am going to go out and tire kick. but it helps in the decision making process to know that i at least have the potential to adapt the accessories more to come later i am sure thanks again

Not quite on topic, but an interesting adaptation.... [img]http://ebay3.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_9433765c9f1f7f279df8cf5fa5632a7d/i-1.JPG[/img]

Art, thanks for another idea! With that setup just on one side, you could make a mower to go under shrubs and small trees without losing yer hat! Dang! Something else to work on now, LOL! Larry

Can't take credit for it, the tractor is on Ebay for sale. The mower "attachment" is listed as not for sale. But, it does look like a nifty idea.

And it probably cost him a fraction of what a Swisher or other tow-behind larger powered mower would cost.... Looks like something I'd do ... but I can't weld! ;)

We did better, there was a local place with a 26" Sears snowblower for 50 bucks and it was new and we took my 2010 and ripped the pullies off this snowblower and made it run off the faster pully on the mower deck PTO and it ran 3 times the normal speed and threw snow farther and deeper than anything seen

I would imagine that with those two low hp mowers, that the grass would need to be cut quite often. Otherwise they would bog down real quick. The set-up would not work, very well on my upstate property, where in the spring-time, the grass grows about 5-6 inches between cuts.