Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

what year sovereign?

Okay you guys,I got one for you.The dealer told me that my sov was a '99.Someone on here questioned whether the kohler command 18hp v-twin was put in that model year,and told me to post the nos.Well better late than never,here they are,right off the tractor.MFG#1692450 Serial#50069.Engine;Family SKH624U1G2RA/model;ch185/spec;62513/disp(CC);624/serial#2535408157/48"mower deck;1691219(is this the regency "commercial" deck?).Also,engine says "kohler command" OHV.I took her out today and cleaned up a few spots-boy I like that hydro lift after yankin' that stick all day on the wheeler yeterday! Next snow,chains on the sov for sure-need some wheel weights now! Any info about my tractor from anybody will be much appreciated.thanks,CJ

My Sovereign is identical to yours. Both are mfg # 1692450. My serial number is 50238, which indicates it was made after yours in 1996. You'll find that Sovereigns made in 1999 used Kohler OHC engines, not OHV engines. Kohler engines serial number 25nnnnnnnn where made in 1995. Since Simplicity tractors don't go by model year, I suppose mine could be called a 1948 and yours a 2023. Where is the line drawn?

Hello Dutch-somebody else said that was a '96-(maybe you?)-I got it last year and I swear it couldn't of had 10hrs on it! Musta been sittin' some place-all the controls were VERY stiff.They said an older gentleman had bought it and had health problems,etc.,...but they also said it was a '99.Seems to run fine,regardless.Do we have the engine most favored? Seems like the command gets good reviews,18 hp is the biggest I have had,and the first hydro.The speed control takes a lot of travel for the corresponding change in speed,but impressive power under a load-is yours that way? I got some more good pics with the hood up,lift kit,etc.,today-but I am reluctant to try and post because I just can't seem to get it right and Maynard has better things to do than fix my mistakes!-(and try to get through my thick head how to do it!) Just want to tell you guys that I have a few mean old injuries that keep me reined in frequently and having this forum when I am frustrated about what I can't do really helps.You are a great bunch and I really mean it-thanks for the knowledge and the yucks! dogman (here is the original 'pulling' unit-dogs were pulling stuff long before horses and tractors). [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/dogman/swissmtndog.JPG[/img]

Dog thats a Command engine , overhead valve (OHV) not overhead cam (OHC). Model should read CH18S not 5. http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/detail.jsp?prod_num=Command+CV18 Engine could be made late in 1995 for '96 production year as the turf people are buidling 2003 MY garden tractors now and then before mid-year will be building 2004 MY snowblowers to get them out well before the season.

quote:
Originally posted by dogman
Must have read it wrong-check tomorrow,does say OHV.Cool link-I'm gonna print that-thanks BLT
And what Dutch said is probaly right also, didn't read into it enough.

Also Command engine seems like a sturdy one. I bought a Sunstar two weeks ago and the hour meter has 1493 hours on it. Even though everything sounds fine, starts good, something still bugged me. Did a crankcase vacuum check according to the sevice manual and it is well within limits, did a compression check, RH side 165, LH side 157. The book don't mention compression pressure but they have to be like Briggs that you be within 25% on both cylinders for compression. After some serious thinking it sounds like a junior Harley and that was what's bugging me, never had a V twin before, doesn't sound like a Briggs opposed twin.

BLT-I never had a twin before either-now I have kohler and briggs both in one summer.I know the Harley sound you are talking about,and I don't get that at all in mine.It wouldn't idle for sh__t when I got it,but I set her down a little between jobs and "trained" her to smooth out at lower rpm.I'm sure it was never broke in and obviously sat too long.Changed the oil twice in less than 100hrs,Valvoline 10w-30,filter once.(considering synthetic after awhile hard work,still not convinced needed with good maintenance).Checked hydro fluid,was all but a quart low(?!)...no leaks.Start up now at 1/2 throttle,full choke,and just a scinch of choke almost immediately after startup for 2 minutes.For pokin' around I run 3/4,any job-full bore,but no screamin'-seems governed about right.Can't idle down like the briggs before shutdown-the briggs likes to purr while resting,but the kohler will "surge" if throttle too low.Need the kohler at 1/2 throttle or a bit higher at shutdown to avoid backfire-(they recommend that),the briggs I like to drop all the way down-seems to like it.Big difference in fuel consumption between 16&18,simple seems more powerfull,but different jobs and design so hard to say.Well,I am getting pretty long winded here,but IMHO these two engines are different animals whose strengths are best exploited by good design-ie;really need to "feather" the controls and engine speed more for the hydro attachments on the ingersoll,but the sovereign really digs in and gives me that smooth power-much better at plowing and mowing for sure.Also,the sov is MUCH safer-with proper instruction I would put a responsible kid on the sov-NEVER the ingersoll.You hit that throttle just a bit too fast without enough weight in front and you got a tractor on top of you in a heartbeat! Anyway,I like both these twins right now for what I need them to do,but they got a ways to go before I am head over heels,so to speak.Old Mil is starting to talk now,but no boompda boompda boompda harley "rumble" comin' outta my kohler,and let me know if you figure that out.CJ

Dog I will let you know more when I get new fuel pump put on. Old one is pretty shabby and with the holidays I won't get it until next week after thr 1st. I can get it running by priming the carb and pump will eventually push fuel. Took pump apart and all the diamphram material is starting to stiffen up. Like I said before,engine checks out fine, it just gets taking time to get used to exhaust sound.

If this is the motor with 1500hrs,how about fixin' what you can see and let her rip-might get to like the rumble,and she might be running when we are both long gone! run BLT run-got any pics? CJdogman

quote:
Originally posted by dogman
If this is the motor with 1500hrs,how about fixin' what you can see and let her rip-might get to like the rumble,and she might be running when we are both long gone! run BLT run-got any pics? CJdogman
Dog see my post "my prize of two weeks ago"

daddy-I am very familiar with the harley sound-I like that potato-potato description,I'll remember that.CJ
quote:
Originally posted by thedaddycat
A Harley at idle makes the "Potato-Potato" sound for those of you not familiar with Milwaukee Iron.

Hey Dutch-here is my motor.(pay attention Roma John).If they put the OHC in the '99,I'm glad mine is a '96 OHV-sounds better from what I have read in the past on here.Do you remember my question about the "slow" response from the speed control lever? I drove another simple hydro some time ago,and it had much less 'travel' for the equivelant increase in speed-doesn't really bother me,just curious.If John-(Roma)-is looking for a sov,I'm sure he will be interested in the pros&cons of the OHC vs OHV,(and so will I of course).CJ [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/dogman/kohler.JPG[/img]

Dog the travel in your throttle might be to the way they connected it at the factory. The throttle arm on the engine is multi holed. The closer to the pivot point the shorter the stroke on the tractor and vice versa with it being farther away. Re-examined fuel pump on mine and re-assembled it the right way and now have fuel flow out the ying - yang. They were meant to be a throw away unit, no repair kits, but were put together with four screws, so......................... Anyway ran it up and down the street today in our balmy 38 degree weather. Everything is fine. It still sounds like a little Harley to me.

thanks doug i am v v v interested in the pro's and cons of the 2 kohler engines i am sooo close to buying a 99 2k with the ohc engine that by the time most of you read this i may own one :) lol Well in either case unless the motor is a complete "dog" pardon the pun :) i am sure between the 2yr warranty and the manufacturer they will make good on any problems>>>> i hope lol thanks for the heads up i think i will post a question based on your insight charlie thanks

John-somewhere in the archives is the info we are talking about-I made a mental note(duh)about it,and remember the OHV was preferred because of some problems with overhead cam.The info wasn't slammimng the OHC as I remember,just leaning toward the OHV.So....do a search! You really got me curious about what you are looking at-don't keep us in suspenders.Also a pic of my lift kit-they wanted to take it off when I got the tractor,said I probably wouldn't have a use for it...I said Nooooooo,leave it on.Are they hard to find? (I'm sure you know that you will need one).CJdogman [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/dogman/Sliftkit.JPG[/img]

Charlie, that lift kit is a gold mine! I forget what the dealer wanted for one to fit my 91/92 17GTH-L but it sure scared me. I finally found one in a junkyard for $25 with cable and roller guide. The lower hitch still cost me $68, no pins or adjustment linkage in the deal. And I use mine all the time. Larry

guys i think the dealer that had my tractor has a few of the rear lift kits in stock i want to say it was around $200.00. I have a complete rear lift assy from my parts 3112h, i think all i should need is the cable and aome roolers? some of you guys may be abel to confirm that.