Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

KOHLER OHV VS OHC

roma3112

GUYS CONTEMPLATING A PURCHASE OF A SOVEREIGN 99 OR 2K IT HAS AN OHC ENGINE IN IT, DOGMAN WAS SAYONG THAT THERE WERE DEFINITELY SOME PRO'S AND CONS ABOUT THE 2 ENGINES, COULD SOME OF YOU ELABORATE ON YOUR GOOD OR BAD EXPERIENCES. THANKS JOHN B

guys i have tryied to do a search through the archives (or at least what i think are the archives) and have not come up with anything :( if any of you can come up with anything or the link it would be much appreciated. john b

I do remember hearing about a lot of warranty problems with the Kohler Command engines, I think the question to ask is "were the problems fixed?" Personally, after using both Kohler and Briggs, I definately prefer Briggs, even though they are very finicky to get started, and have a lot of carb leaks, I still like them. For some reason I can understand how a Briggs works and I just cant get Kohlers. I suppose that I am just not smart enough to use a Kohler.

John like Les, I have always teneded to be a Briggs guy, their repair manuals are detailed to the hilt where Tecumseh and Kohler are not. But after running my Sunstar up and down the street again today, I am very impressed by it, considering hour meter has almost 1500 hrs in it, a feat that I doubt a lot of Briggs could do. And like you said you have two years to put it thru its paces. Another thing to keep in mind that thru your warranty period always use factory parts, filters and lubricants and document it. This always wheighs heavily in your favor should you have a problem.

Kohler OHV vs. OHC. First the OHV engine or Overhead Valve engine, also known as the Command engine or designed CH came in CH18,20,22,25,and 26 hp. This is an aluminum block, castiron cylinders V-twin engine with a very good reputation. The OHC engine or Overhead Cam engine (also overhead valves), also known as the Triad engine or designed as TH. Came 16,18,20,23hp. V-twin. The Triad has had a poorer reputation for durability. Kohler has had problems with this engine dropping piston sleeves when overheated. Both engines, as are all overhead valve engines more suseptable to overheating with the limited cooling on the heads. If kept clean, no problems. The local dealer has had good support from Kohler, but he personally doesn't like the fact that the engine is not repairable or rebuildable. When he is talking about repairable I do not know if he is talking about both the CH and TH or just the TH engine. If everything is equal, I would pick the CH over the TH. My nickels worth.

Biggest problem with the OHC model in the new Sovereigns is sucking trash into the engine and air filter from excess blowback out of the mower deck. The air filter design is terrible. Have to clean it almost every time you use the mower. Sounds like I'll also have to make sure the cooling fins stay clean or it will drop a cylinder liner. Don't know why people like Kohlers. Briggs seem to be more durable and less expensive to rebuild when needed. My opinion and experience.