Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3415 Help Starting?

Gtj811

I had my restored 1972 3415S all decked out with new tire chains and the blower and a full tank of gas on Christmas Day. Backed it into the garage so I could drive into the falling snow in the AM and the lights stopped working. It was still running so I just shut off the engine. Woke up the next AM with 6 inches of snow in RI and turned the key. Nothing happened, the generetor light didn't even come on! I then charged the battery and still can't get the engine to even turn over. Any ideas? I'm going to look at the safety switch this AM. What else can I try to test to get the tractor going before all the snow melts? It broke my heart to have to walk behind my Jacosen Blower! Thanx in advance. Gregg

Gregg Welcome to the club. Check & clean your battery terminals and check the ground & Positive wires at both ends. Sounds like you have a bad connection some where. Make sure your engine is grounded to the frame. You don't need Battery to run but you do to have lights and to start it. Another possibility is a shorted battery.

Gregg, You may also want to check your main B+ primary circuit (fused/breaker'd at ~~ 20 Amps). Without that circuit hot, no starter op, or charging circuit action. I think the lighting is on an independant 20 amp circuit. Tom(PK)

I believe the 3415 has a circuit breaker mounted in the lower part of the dash behind the battery, like the 700 series. Possibly a bad connection there. Pat

quote:
Originally posted by Gtj811
I had my restored 1972 3415S all decked out with new tire chains and the blower and a full tank of gas on Christmas Day. Backed it into the garage so I could drive into the falling snow in the AM and the lights stopped working. It was still running so I just shut off the engine. Woke up the next AM with 6 inches of snow in RI and turned the key. Nothing happened, the generetor light didn't even come on! I then charged the battery and still can't get the engine to even turn over. Any ideas? I'm going to look at the safety switch this AM. What else can I try to test to get the tractor going before all the snow melts? It broke my heart to have to walk behind my Jacosen Blower! Thanx in advance. Gregg
Greg, if push gets to shove you can always get it started by using a small jumper wire on the starter relay. That is the solenoid which should be on the top of the engine. If battery is up to snuff and you have a good ground, turn on key and then take one end of your jumper wire and hold on the terminal between the solenoid and battery. Take the other end and touch the small terminal in the middle, usually blue wire and starter should jump into action.

Bob All well and good if the connections on the battery ground side are good. You can put jumper cables from another battery and if the tractor battery is shorted you will never start it with that battery in the system. If the tractor battery is open or discharged it will start with jumper cables. The procedure you described bypasses the circuit breaker and switch and will work in some instances if the solenoid is bad. Be very careful with jumper wires or jumper cables around a battery that has been discharged partly by cranking or has just been on a battery charger. One little spark at the battery and KABOOM. Connect the positive to the charged battery first then the positive to the discharged battery. then connect the ground to the charged battery and then to a grounded part of the vehicle being started not the negative post of the battery and not near the battery