Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

2010 Battery

Dadsy98

My battery for the 2010 is acting a little tired. It doesn't regain a full charge like it used to. Load testing doesn't show an internal fault, and the regulator charging system is fine. I've heard from other sources about replacing the electrolyte. they claim to bring a battery back to life. So, $7.00 a quart for acid versus $50.00 for a new battery What do you think? Steve

While I'll agree that replacing the electrolyte will give that batt a little more life remember that the acid is a hazardous material and that draining and refilling a battery is a messy job. Is there someplace to return the acid to? If you do replace the acid remember to wear the appropriate safety equipment. IMHO you'd be happier with the results of a new battery and most places will give you something ($) for the old one.

You might try this old biker trick. Get a couple of bottles of demineralized water and cut the top off one. The top becomes a funnel, bottom a pail, water is dumped(or you could drink it if thirsty). Empty electrolyte into bottom section, use water from other bottle to fill battery about half way. Put caps on and shake it up a while, then dump out. Repeat a few times, this gets some of the crud out from the battery and flushes it out. Use a couple layers of paper towel or napkin in the funnel as a filter and put electrolyte back into battery. Top off with remaining water. This is a "I'm broke down in the middle of nowhere, no bike shops, parts stores or hardware stores in sight, just the local convenience store I coasted into" kind of trick that will get you home. It might even make the battery last the rest of the season if you're lucky. For myself, I'd just go to Wally-World and get a new one, about 25 bucks.

put a new battery in,for peace of mind,and a strong battery will have the sufficient amps to operate the starter and electrical system per design.I would stay away from swapping the acid,one wrong move,you'll be out more than 40 bucks.

Thanks guys for the thoughts. I just bought a new battery for the 7010. This battery is a size 51 (similiar to a 22NF), about the biggest that would fit. The battery was $49.00 . I've seen the L&G batteries at TSC and such. Those were a smaller style for riding mowers and priced around $17.00 . the 2010 tractor is not a worker around here yet. I just need to have it available if I need it, 'sides, I'm cheap! The starter is good, belt is kinda frayed. Replaced the battery cables, Cleaned the electrical grounds. The battery is fine for summer starting... just doesn't like the cold. The full rinse that Daddycat mentions does work. I just figure while I'm at it replace the acid. I'll let you know the results when I try it. Steve

A battery that starts good in warm weather will not allways be a good battery in the winter. When buying a battery that is to be used in the winter look at the CCA rateing CCA = Cold Cranking Amps at 32 degrees or 0 degrees. The higher the CCA the longer the battery will crank in cold weather. Cheap Battery = low CCA.

During the winter I keep a trickle charger on my plow tractor as it is kept in a shed and I plow with lights and a strobe light on. For the short duration that it takes to clean the driveway, the starting and lights will deplete the battery more than the charger will make up for. Has anyone tried a 'BATTERY MINDER' [url]www.vdcelectronics.com[/url]? The battery supply where we get batteries @ work says that these work. Don

You probably have a bad cell in your battery. If I were you I'd go to Wal-Mart and get one of their batteries. Their cheap ones run around $15, better $20, and best around $30. It's probably not worth the trouble to mess around with the acids.

With the caps removed, I checked each cell with a DVM. All six showed 2.+ volts. So I think the cells are okay. Bigcountry, are the batteries you mentioned at Waly World the large size (8Hx5W9L) or the smaller ones? Steve

Trickle chargers... I put one on a 6.5kW generator at work. I didn't think it would cook the battery - Wrong! 12 volts at 1 Amp dried out the battery completely. Since then I put a cheap 24 hour timer on it. I let it charge about two hours a day. A charger that shuts off completely when the battery is charged should be okay. Steve

The Wal-Mart 51-4 has the 5" X 9" footprint and is about 8" tall, with ratings of 610 CA and 500 CCA. Here are a few pics of the battery trays of several tracotrs. This is a Landlord, circa 1964, and it will fit here.

The 2012 will hold it.

As will the 2210 the hydro lift came from.

And here's one installed in my 3310. Notice my expedient repair for failed gas tank hold down straps? Shock cord tied to fit, not pretty but it works. See, the working machines don't get special treatment....

Thanks, Daddycat. It appears this battery is pretty much standard with our tractors. I'll pay a visit to Wal mart one of these days. I did notice the 22 group has the lips on the ends near the bottom for the hold downs and the 51 group does not. It must be an illusion but the positive cable clamp on your 3310 looks mighty close to the sheet metal. Also, I noticed the irregular shaped spacer in the bottom of the 2012 battery well. My 2010 doesn't have one...just one inch wood blocks. Steve

Yeah, that's a wood precursor there. I just dragged that part of the 2012 in the other day. I'm going to look over the hydro lift before I put too much more on the frame, install it if it's good to go.