Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-112 or 3112?

RenegadeJ

Just came across another B-112 but it is in rough shape. Think it can be saved from the scrap heap. If I can save it will probable use the hood, grill and dash assemblys from a 3112. Should I paint it simplicity colors and AC Yellow? What about decals? Should I try to straighted the B-112 hood and dash and make it original? The mower deck that came with it is in pretty rough shape with several holes rusted through it. I have another mower deck from a Simplicity 3112 that will work just fine. Will this tractor be a Simplicity or and Allis Chalmers???

The hood on a B-112 and 3112 are NOT the same. The B-112 had a "console" or "pod" that used a piano hinge to open up and gain access to the gas cap and battery. Because of that, it also used a deep dish steering wheel. So, I wouldn't use a 3112 hood and paint it yellow... [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/1968_ac/112_pg1_md.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/new_in_1969/pg3_3112.jpg[/img]

Personally, I'd try to end up with a yellow tractor. Not only do I like the color, but I like the "big tractor" name... I just traded with SmilinSam for a Simplicy 2012 with 515 loader -- it'll probably end up yellow, on a Big Ten with a 12HP engine. Not original, but not really "hacking" either, IMO. If GM can put one brand of engines in another car -- and ship them from the factory that way -- then I have few qualms about painting a piece of sheet metal a different color....

Well, Maybe I will try to straighten the B-112 hood and keep it as close as I can to the original B-112. I do have an extra steering wheel from a B-212 and grill assembly from a 3112. If I used the flat 3112 hood and grill and the steering wheel from the 212, and paint it Allis Chalmers yellow will it be a 212? Yea, I know the grill will not be AC but haven't made up my mind at this point. Any suggestions..

OK, Marty, you talked me into it. I will see if the 112 hood can be straightened. My son runs an auto body business and will see what he says. But still gonna use the dash from the 3112 so I can have the recessed key start instead of that big push button.

Lon, The later B-112's had a recessed key, instead of push-button starting, so there's nothing wrong with using the dash out of the 3112... I think you made the right choice. If your son can't salvage the B-112 hood, perhaps he can modify the 3112 hood to match it, by: 1) cutting out the access hole underneath that console, 2) by cutting out and welding in the bottom part of the small grille frame that goes on the B-112 hood. Just a thought... Kent

One point I will make is that one should definately sandblast any "red" parts that will be painted yellow. Otherwise, when you scratch the yellow you will be able to see the red underneath.