Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Belt question for blower arrangement

roma3112

Hi guys Well i got the blower mounted on the new tractor, but i noticed somthing as far as the belt goes basically as far as the belt adjustment goes on the center pto there is a red and green sticker that is there to show you how to properly tension the belt well i tryied to get it as close to correct(rear of the tensioning bracket in the front red section) as i could but it still seems a little off (partially in the red) to me, as far as not being loose enough. Hopefully i have mounted the brackets in the correct spot on the machine, (as i had to cut the old ones off and mount the new ones supplied)thus attributing to the incorrect tension. Other than that the blower seems to work just fine, One thing i did notice is that when the blower is running the belt tends to flap around / ocilate a bit, i was real cautious to run the blower for short intervals at first checking the idlers/ tensioners for incorrect allignment/ burs ect and also to make sure the belt is not being damaged by contacting anything. I am cautiously attributing this oscilation (on the slack side of the belt) to be due to the enourmous leignth of the belt. I will try to post some pics of how it looks, and hopefully you folks can look and see if it appears that i did things corectly. Ps have any of you with this blower set-up noticed the oscilation i am describing, thanks for all your help john b

John, first off, are you using a Simplicity belt? When I built the hitch for my 914, I didn't want to spend the extra money and take a chance on ruining a $50 belt until I saw that everything was in alignment. I found that off brand belts come in 146" or 148" length. The Simplicity belt is 147.1" in length. When I installed the Simplicity belt, it was on the tight side (about 1/8" of the front red showing). After about 45 minutes of use, it had stretched to about 1/8" into the green. After I had plowed about 2" of wet snow off of my driveway, I took the blower out and got rid of the plow banks. Also went along the road past my place and got rid of the county's banks. About an hour of very hard blowing. The belt didn't stretch any more. As to the belt flopping around, my belt flops at idle with the blower empty. It doesn't flop when empty and wide open, but does start flopping some when loaded heavily. Pat

thanks guys i think i will take a pic of the idler and let you all be the judge, as it is now the tensioner (adjustable pulley) is all the way loose. The only other thing it could be is that when i drilled the holes for the new brackets on the blower i may have put them too far foreward. I will take a pic after work and let you folks take a peek thanks again john