Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Pics of snow blower tensioner and mounting

roma3112

hi all Well i got a chance to take a picture of the tensioner and i am going to post it below, i also took a pic of the front of the blower hitch showing the small modification i had to make to fit it to the new machine. I checked again how the belt behaved and at idle it dos flop a bit and as the rpm's go up it seems to "tighten up" I took the pics so you guys could take a look and mabee spot somthing i missed. Ps sory i couldnt add this reply to my first post but i couldnt figure out how to add pics to an existing topic. thanks john b

You can't add them to a reply using the Quick Reply box -- you have to use the Reply links so that you get all the formatting buttons, smilies, paperclip, etc.

John Why did you move the hitch pin brackets back on the blower? Those pins should go though the blower housing and the bracket with the ears on the hitch between the blower housing and the bracket. and your lift rod appears to be connected in the wrong place. With that hitch you shouldn't have had to modify any thing. My new Blower is from a 2000 sovereign on a 85 7790. I didn't have to change a thing. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/UCD/Sbhitch1.JPG[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/UCD/Sbhitch2.JPG[/img]

Kirk You can add pictures useing the edit function as may times as you want. I do it all the time. And you can add a picture to Quick reply from a picture all ready online by inserting the HTML tags manualy but you can not upload pictures useing quick reply

John, I used the blower from my HB-212 on my 914. I attached the hitch to the blower without any alteration. I didn't like the angle of the lift arm, so I did alter that.

If the snowblower is from your 3112, you may want to consider changing the pulley on the snowblower. The older blowers that run of the crankshaft use a 5" pulley, while the newer ones running off the center PTO use a 7". Tried mine with the 5", and it really made the 18 horse work. Stepped up to a 6" pulley, and it's better. Really throws the snow but still takes more power than I would like. Pat

maynard i had to move/remove the origional ears because when i installed the blower the belt was way to long, the stock brackets and blower depicted in the directions looked like yours. When i held up my new brackets to the machine it seemed to take up all the necessary slack about 1-2 inches. now reading pats post about the different pulley diameters i see that mabee i could have compensated for the leignth that way. Maynard if you look at my pic, the hitch bracket i bolted in used uses one of the stock holes (hole closest to the hitch pin ) so from that point (stock hole) to where the hitch pin is now is about the leignth i needed to compensate for. the only other thing i didnt like was the fact that the attachment point seems to "float" in that there is no steel to form a pocket for the tractor hitch to slide into, it meerly hangs there at the point where the pin slides through. If the way it is set up now looks ok to you guys, i am thinking that i may need to weld in a piece of steel to re-form the slot at the point where the hitch meets the blower. What do you all think ? Also guys, how does the tension look, this is what really concernes me. At idle there is a little "flop" but at 1/2 throttle or more it seems to track smooth. thanks john b

John Put the blower back the way it should be. if its the pulley that needs to be changed that is alot easier than welding brackets on. I have had four blowers on my tractor from a late 60's to a 2000 and I never had to modify any thing. You said that the adjustment pully was all the way foward or loose now. you put the bloewer brackets back where they should be and you can move the belt adjuster back. The way the brackets are now there is no support and you are going to wear the holes out real fast or break something

John, I agree with Maynard. Put the blower back the way it was, and change the pulley. As stated in my reply above, the 5" pulley took too much power from an 18 horse. I would go to no less than a 6". 6 1/2" would be better yet. As for a belt guide, I had an old one here. I cut the band off, made belt guides out of 1/4" cold rolled steel and welded them to the bracket. Pat

Maynard, you're right about adding a pic. I had tried it once(I think before this new version of clubhouse) and it didn't work. Just tried again and it does. Thanks for bringing me up to date....

guys let me ask a few questions, Since the modifications are pretty much done, do you think it would be acceptable just to reinforce the area of the blower where the hitch pin slides through. Could you folks tell how the tension looked from the pic i took, it seems to be ok according to the way i read the book. I am leaning towards reinforcing only because i have a fear that if i get a 6 or 6.5 pulley that now my belt will be too short, as it is now the leignth seems to be ok and tension---well ithink it is ok but you folks may be abel to tell from the pic. Also if the 5in was ok for al these years with a 12hp why change it, i agree the new machine would work less hard but i am not sure how much benefit i will realize. thanks again i got to run to a new years eve thing john b

John Just a word of advice. I would put it back the way it belongs. The way it is set up now serves no purpose. It is defiantly not an improvement and will give you nothing but headaches in the long run. You asked for our advice and we rendered it. What you do with it is up to you.

John, the reason for changing the pulley is that with the old style that ran off of the crankshaft, you were driving the blower off of a 4 - 4 1/2" pulley. In short, the blower was not running as fast as the engine. The auger was running at a little over 900 RPM. With the center PTO, you are driving the blower with a 5 or 5 1/2" pulley. You will be running the blower just as fast, or faster than the engine. The auger will be running at over 1200 rpm. It works great for throwing snow a little farther, but with that increase in blower speed takes a lot more power to move the snow. Take my word for it. My 18 horse had barely enough power to handle it at much more than a crawl. That is why I changed to a 6" pulley which is still a little too fast. As to the belt being too short, if you have the correct belt, it will not be a problem. Your belt is as tight as you want to run it now, maybe a little too tight, and you have the moveable pulley as loose as possible. With the 5" pulley on the blower, you will be showing a little of the red on the rear portion with the moveable pulley all the way back. The belt runs on about half of the snowblower pulley. Half the diameter of a 5" pulley is 7.9". Half of a 6" pulley is 9.4". Half of a 7" pulley is 10.99". Moving the blower back by 1 1/2" with a 6" pulley or 3" with a 7" pulley will leave your belt about as tight as it is now, with lots of room to tighten. With the 6" pulley on mine, the moveable pulley is about 2/3 of the way from the back and my belt is almost as tight as yours is now. I have lots of room to tighten the belt, and the initial stretch seems to be done. Pat

thanks mayard pat and everyone else My next question to you all would be what would you reccomend for a pulley and if any of you folks have a part number for it that would be even better, Also if there is a part # available for the belt guide that would be great too, i just looked in the manual that came with the hitch kit and it does not list any pn#'s for either the pulley nor the guide. and thanks again for your honest advice it is well understood and appreciated john b

I used a weld together pulley and hub. A 3/4" hub is what you need. I also installed it backward of the original, with the hub side toward the center of the blower. This puts the pulley a little of center, more towards the drive side and seems to allow better alignment of the belt. Pat

pat i have never heard of a weld together pulley, where would you purchase somthing like that? At best my skills at welding would be considerd basic and also would you have to get a certain size as far as where the belt actually rides guys any idea if simplicity offers such a pulley? and if so what did you wind up using as a belt guide on the blower drive does sinplicity also offer these? thanks again to all who have offerd their help and HAPPY NEW YEAR john b

Most farm supply, welding shops, and some hardware stores carry the "Weld-a-pulley". You purchase a hub and a pulley or sprocket and weld them together. Many auto parts stores carry these, as well as complete pulleys. Belt and bearing suppliers often carry pulleys. Yes, you should get a pulley for a 1/2" belt. Some pulleys are made to fit either 1/2" or 5/8" belts, but the 1/2" belts ride further down the pulley. In that case you would want to go to a 1/2" larger diameter. Simplicity does offer the standard 7" snowblower pulley. The standard pulley from the straight 3-speed tractors is a 6 1/2" with a 3/4" bore so that should work. As far as belt guides, if you go with the Simplicity 7" pulley, you can also get the belt guide. I believe you would need to drill a hole in the top of the blower frame to use this. I had an older blower for parts. I took the 5" belt guide, cut the band off and welded two belt guides (one one each side) to the remaining bracket. Pat

thanks pat went out this am to put the tire chains on the new machine and to remove my little hack job on the blower :( after coffee i will get the brackets back the way they were, too bad today is a holliday we are expecting a lil snow would like to try it out, but not as if i have to go "slummin" i have the 3112h in reserve :) I definitely like this redundancy factor of having multiple machines :) I wonder if there is anything i can do with my 4111h other than mowing grass :) thanks again to all who have posted here and responded to my emails and private messaged, pat dutch maynard and the rest john b

well spent all day with the new machine, got the tire chains, filled the rear tires with fluid and sandblasted painted and installed my spare set of weights from my parts 3112h. i just hope that between the few dealers in my area that one of them has the 7in pulley for the blower. Jacks has them for like 35$, Only thing i need to devise is a means of setting up the belt guide on the blower pulley.

John, I think you'll find that the type of snow is a factor also. There is a difference when throwing light, dry, powdery snow, and heavy, wet, slushy snow. I would imagine Simplicity makes a compromise when engineering pulley sizes, so that their snowthrowers work "well" under all conditions. If you want "outstanding" performance, you may want to experiment with different size pulleys. I'm at a disadvantage here in South Jersey because we don't get much snow, and when we do it doesn't last long. I have only been able to get "adequate" performance with a 48" Kubota snowthrower mounted on my 12hp tractor. But, now I'm ready........ I have it mounted on an 18hp tractor, and have a set of different size pulleys and belts that can be quickly interchanged. The trick is to have the pulley ratio matched to the available horsepower to keep the auger loaded and spinning at the optimum speed.

dutch i completely agree with you, when i was trying out the new machine with the above picture(s) the snow had been there for a while, it was dry and was not a worse case scenario. I am going to call a few places today to see if i can get the 7in pulley as that is all i have the part #for. I think 7 is the biggest i can go, so if i install that and the belt tightens up and it (the blower) works as i remberd it did on the 3112h we are all set. Actually up here in boston suposedly there is a storm headed our way tomorow night so it will be a good test, that is if i can find a pulley before then :) thanks john b

oh 1 more thing, if anybody has the pn# handy for the 6.5 in pulley that would be a help. i have not had any uck finding it, thanks again john b

John, the 6.5" pulley is part #154272. If you don't get the 6.5" or 7" pulley in time, you can get by with the 5". The 5" pulley will work, but will take much more power than the 7". My experience (using the same snowblower with the 5" pulley), is that I had to use a slower travel speed with the 914 than I did with the HB-212, though both tractors are equipped with 18hp Vanguard V-twin engines. The reason I switched the blower to the 914 was due to the drive system of the blower. The crankshaft on the V-twin in the HB-212 had to be extended to allow for mounting the blower drive pulley in the B-series factory position. This put too much stress on the engine bearings and I took out two V-twin engines. The original engine was replaced under warranty. When the second engine went, Briggs determined that it was not a warranty issue, but an application issue, so warranty did not cover it. The crankshafts were not damaged and the bearings are replaceable, so I was able to salvage both engines. Since I had to build the hitch for the 914, I could have built a similar hitch and ran the blower on the HB-212 from the center PTO. I chose the 914 instead, so that I have only one belt to deal with. Pat

pat got the 7incher this evening, went to stones where i purchased the tractor and he had one, the only thing was that nearly as both of us could tell im the later models simplicity did away with the belt guard. some of the older models used a little temperd hook that mounded through the top of the blower, nut we liiked through the microfilm for a while and couldnt come up with an application where a belt guard is used. Maybe simpliciy did away with them, i am wondering if there is no use for one seing that the belt is under constant tension, whereas on the old 3112 mabee the guard was needed to keep the belt in place when the belt tension was released. Was too late to put it on tonight, i just hope that the belt that came with the hitch kit will fit now that i got the 7inch pulley. thanks again for all your help john b