Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Pull starter blues- heat tape

Tom_Byrne

I've finally had enough! Went to start my 707 to do some cleanup plowing today. The tempremental little tractor did not want to go...I kept pulling and I not only pull started the tractor but also pulled out my back! I have seen the light, Brothers. Tomorrow I crawl out of my prehistoric cave and modernize the old girl with the starter/generator off my parts tractor. Question: has anyone ever used that wraparound electric heating tape on thier engines? My storage is not heated and I figured I might try it.

Tom When I have the same problem with my Yoeman I would spray Gumout in the air filter. Yoeman usally starts up in 2 pulls. Starting in the fall I will add Stabile fuel treatment to my gas, fresh sparkplug(s)and change oil to 10W-30. I would be afraid to wrap heating tape around motor because of fire.

Tom I'm with Maynard on the heat lamp. I've been doing that for years on the tractors, cars and trucks. If it's real cold I fire up the torpedo heater and warm up while checking tires,oil and such. just a thought. Larry

Give it a shot of ether (starter fluid). It should wake up instantly. Just don't use it too often, as your motor will become "addicted" or "get lazy" when it comes time to crank it with out the ether.

If you use ether, just a hint of it works. A twelve ounce can should last years. I've also used silicone spray, wasp killer, WD40. anything where the label says "Warning! Flammable! Do not use near heat or flame! " But make sure you're outside when you use these as the the exhaust smoke is harmful to breathe. Steve

Hi Tom, As far as heating the motor....try this link for some great suggestions http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11264&SearchTerms=pre,warmed,briggs I burned up a nice RUPP minibike two years ago with ether, best i can figure is it was flooded and you can guess the rest, my kid was ticked. I only use it on the D10 now,nothing else. Good luck