Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

816 GT tractors

Dave Fullmer

I picked up a 816 GT with a rototiller for $100. It is pretty well complete except the air filter is missing and the choke lever is broken off the carburator. It will run when you pour gas in the carb. I made a search for 816 GT on this site and found no matches. I also looked in the parts and manuals for info and found a picture, specifications but no manual seems to be available. I bought this tractor because I own a AC B, a WD, A WD45, A '37 WC, a UC Thomson Cane tractor, and several old AC parts tractors. I thought it would be fun to restore a garden tractor to add to my collection. My question is this. Because of the lack of discussion and the lack of finding a manual, is this tractor not very common? The hood on mine does not match to the plastic dash around the steering wheel and I am trying to find out what goes between the hood and the dash panel. Thanks,

The Allis 816GT is virtually identical to the Simplicity 6116. It's a small frame garden tractor. You'll find quite a bit of discussion on the 6000 series tractors.

Dave, Welcome aboard. Did you search here in the Clubhouse or on the Simple trACtors site? If you'll go there and search you can find the specs and a little more info. http://www.simpletractors.com/Main/search.htm By the way, the 816 GT cross-references to a Simplicity 6116, Manufacturer No 1690422 If you'll take that 1690422 number to this place on the Simplicity site and search, you can download the Operators Manual and Parts Manual for free... http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/techpubsearch.php#start As far as being rare -- not really.

Thanks Kent and Dutch. I didn't think it would be rare. I also didn't expect it to be the same as Simplicity. Actually, I don't know beans about the garden tractors. Ask me a question about the AC farm tractors as old as the WD45's and older, I can talk all day because I grew up with them, but the garden tractors are a new can of worms. Did the Simplicity have the same sheet metal as the AC's. Also, I ran into a junk complete Gillson at the local Small engine repair shop. It struck me as similar to the AC, even color. Could it be a kissing cousin to Simplicity?

Oops... I didn't give you all the info. I also found these two Allis-Chalmers MFR numbers for the 816 GT. You may want to look on the decal on the tractor itself to make exactly sure... 1690437 1690621 There's manuals available for the Allis version of the first one (1690437) on the Simplicity site, but not for the second one (1690621).

Gilsons are not related to Simplicity and there's no interchange at all... Most models of Allis have a Simplicity equivalent -- except for the brief period of 1968 -1973 or so, when Allis made their own equipment in their Lexington SC plant. The Federal Trade Commission filed an antitrust suit against them because of their purchase of Simplcity, and they were forced to build "incompatible" tractors. Prior to 1968, and after 1973, Simplicity actually built all the Allis L&G tractors... and still do. Here's an interesting short history of that relationship, if you haven't seen it: http://www.simpletractors.com/Main/history.htm BTW, I'm a Sevier County native -- where's McKenzie? Name is familiar, but that's all I can say...

Kent, McKenzie is located north east of Jackson about 16 miles before you get to Paris. Thanks for the info. I got into the 1690437 info but didn't find a manual for it. I'll go back and see if I can find it. The spec sheet and picture for 1690437 matches my tractor. BTW, did I do all right on the price? It sounded good to me and of course If I am happy, then I did all right. But where is the ball park value on these garden tractors. Some day, I think I'll want to pick up a mower deck for it also.

OK... now I think I know where it is. As far as whether you did "all right" on the price -- the tiller is worth more than you paid for the whole package....