Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Jet fuel vs. diesel

Putter

Anybody out there in the aviation world? I just picked up 45 gallons of jet fuel and was wondering if anyone ran this in their tractors here? Guys at work run it straight in diesel cars and trucks and others add a bit of oil (apparently) to lube the fuel pump as there is not enough lubricant compared to diesel. Otherwise it is the same as diesel. The floor is open for your thoughts. I figure I can run it straight. Any diesel owners out there with previous fuel pump problems?

Hello, as long is it IS NOT JP-4, you can safely run it in your stuff. I would recommend however you cut it 50/50 with diesel. Jet fuel is nothing more than a higher grade of kerosene. JP-4 however is highly volitable is extremely dangerous. It is more than kerosene it is a different eninity all together. I was in the USAF for 8 years as a fuels lab. tech. Hope this helps.

Thanks! It is Jet A. Why do I need to mix it 50/50 with diesel? The guys that use it straight have no "reported problems" ...yet.

He probably doesn't have JP-4, it was supposedly phased out in the mid 90's. If it's K1-Kerosene, Jet-A, Jet-Q, JP-5 or JP-8, then it's about 98% kerosene by weight and you would treat like you would #1 diesel. #1 Diesel is lower in cetane and lubricants and has a lower pour point than #2 Diesel. Kenny offered good advice about blending it, although I have gone as high as a 30 #2 / 70 #1 blend when temps run about 40 below. I have also heard than 5-10% motor oil could be used with straight #1 and provide enough lubricants but I have never tried that. Also, keep in mind my experiences are with US, and not Canadian fuels, I don't know if the standards are the same or not.

You do a winter blend with #2 fuel oil to keep the paraffin from coagulating in extreme cold tempertures. It gets to the point of where it will plug fuel lines and the filters. This was commonplace in the trucking industry. Trucks would have to be towed into garages where they can warm up and get things back to normal. I alot of trucks incorporate fuel heaters and winter blend to prevent this.

Marty, if I ever get to check that one off on my "Things to do before I die" list, I'll visit you in Alaska(isn't it Alasqiux in Native Tongue?) one of these years. Hopefully it isn't when you need the Winter Blend, though...... P.S. I already lost the chance to visit Hong Kong as a British Colony....

Believe it or not, while stationed with the Air Force in Germany in the early 60s we burnt JP4 in small space heaters in our guard shacks!! Could not get anyone to fill the 55 gal drums so we would stop an aircraft refueling truck and beg them to top off or drums. Dan

Having been a diesel mechanic with Detroit Diesel for 20 years and working on some diesels at airports where they are required to run jet fuel I've found that the lack of lubrication from the jet fuel is very hard in the long run on injectors & injector pumps. theres really no reason to run Jet fuel if you use blended fuel and keep your fuel fiters serviced. If you've ever had any injector pump work done you'll know its very expensive.