Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Won't Shift - Help

IronPony

I know I should have changed all the fluids when I bought it last Fall, but, I did'nt. I put the snow blade on and jump started it when I discoverd the battery was not up to +5 cold weather. Now it runs fine but will not shift. It is a 79 AC712S Shuttle. The 4 speed shifter goes into both 1st and 3rd but nothing happens. I pull it back in to neutral and away I go in 4th both forward and reverse. The shifter will not move rearward past the neutral position. I have used both the shuttle and the clutch with same results. When the weather was warm, the thing worked just fine. I am thinking I should have changed the gear lube?? Don't know what else would be reacting to the cold. Help Please !!?? Dan

Never have had a shuttle so I don't know anything about them, do they use 90wt gear lube?? If so, and its old, at 5 degrees that stuff would most likely look like gun greese, I'd say warm it up, drain it and put syn gear lube in it before you break something..MPH

Try reading the discussion here about getting stuck in gear, it may apply to your situation. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11763

Thanks to daddycat and MPH! I read the discussion on the getting stuck in gear and it sure sounds like I have the same problem. The temp is cold here so it may bve some time before In can tackle this fix. Thanks again to both and i will update when I get to try the solution. Dan

Warmed up a little here today so I tried the bent screwdriver thing. I have never done this before. I used the screwdriver like I used to adjust breaks. I was able to turn the closest gear but it could be turned using the pully and belt already. The gear oil was clean and flowing nicely. Guess I will have to take it apart:( There was no change after using the screwdriver to turn the gear. Any and all suggestions appriciated. Dan

Dan, you should be trying to move the shift forks (fingers), not the gear. They "lock" by allowing the transmission to have two gears engaged at the same time. Did you check out this link: http://edensltd.com/sticking_trans.htm

What a NOVICE I am!! I did read that link but pictured going in the gear lube level check hole. Where I tried to move gears!! How dumb!! After re-reading, I see that you go in much higher behind the drive pulley and just under the shifting fork area. I'll try this this morning. It is forecast to be above freezing today. Warm weather for NW Minnesota. Thanks for your patients. Dan