Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-10 Seat Project

arjr111

Can't sew, neither can I. Here is my totally stitchless, B-10 seat. Careful measurement, and creative folding are the keys. Advantages, won't pull away at the stitches and upholstery is doubled (hopefully, wearability is too) to get the look, and price. Disadvantages, doesn't look quite as nice as the pro's........yet! [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/arjr111/Pc310001.jpg[/img]

Art, The seat looks great where did you buy the material from? I have already purchased two of these at $115 each for my first two restorations.I am trying to hold down the cost on redoing my B207 and am not bieng that particular on this one. I would like to give it a try if I can find the material. Thanks, Vinnie

That looks excellant. I took my old B12 seat apart and copied the meas. Bought the material and had it sewn up for 26 dollars. That was here in Asheboro N.C. Hard to believe they did it for that but it's true Rumbly Bros. Upholstering. Asheboro NC.

How much to do one plain pleated white,no black sides,bottom and back with no arm cushions for my 700?,,I have new seat bases and foam made already,,I like the orig.looks ,,A-1 from here Art,,good job,,

Thanks guys, so far, the cost has been less than $100. This includes all the new nuts, T nuts, and bolts, plain black vinyl, white pleated vinyl, plywood, and 3" and 1" poly-foam for the 3+ (edit, update..only get 2.5 seats) seats I have planned. But, just the plain, pleated vinyl's and poly-foam in the smallest amount (1 yd each of marine treated material), you can buy, cost $73. This is enough to make at least 4 maybe more complete seats. I'm set up for two more, right now. If you have access to foam, plywood, etc., you will get by cheaper. Although, I would stick with the poly-foam, especially for the seat base itself. If you plan to do it by sewing (having it sewn professionally) you will get even more seats. But, the price, goes up several notches. I cover the cushions completely with the black vinyl, using the careful measure, cut, and fold method. Folding the corners to get a sharp look, is the major difficulty in this method. Then stretch the pleated vinyl over the top of it. This gives you two layers of upholstery and the factory appearance. The back of the back-rest is a little tricky, because it shows, and needs to look real nice. What I did was to take a thin plywood, stretch the black vinyl over it and put it on with four small screws. This covered up the staples and finished it off nicely. My next one, will be finished, so even the two screws you see in the pic, (since changed to black) will be under the seat frame. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/arjr111/Pc310002.jpg[/img] I plan to take more pics. to show the method, I used if someone wants to do it without sewing. [url]http://www.garysupholstery.com/Products/foamback/foamback.html[/url] [url]http://www.garysupholstery.com/Products/foamback/foamback.html[/url] [url]http://www.garysupholstery.com/Products/pleated/pleated.html[/url] Dave, to use the "fold" method, just in white, you would need to buy plain white vinyl and white pleated vinyl. It would be too difficult to fold the pleated white at the corners, without putting the plain white down first. and would look funny. But, if you put the plain white down first, and stretch the pleated straight over the white it will look like mine.

Hi Alan, I'm going to need one for my next Big Ten, project. I will have an extra one,(edit, update..only 2.5 seats per 1 yd. ea. of material), that I plan to offer. Also, if I get good enough and confident enough, that the seats will not disappoint, I may purchase additional material and make more. I figure, that I could offer them for about $50 (edit, update $60). With 10%, going to the club. First, I want to take pictures of the whole process. So, everyone can determine whether they want to tackle the method themselves. And, can see better the differences, between the folded seats and the professionally sewn seats. And whether the savings, to a potential buyer, would be worth the reduction in professional looks. The major difference in looks, are where the pleated vinyl, sits over the plain. Because it is not sewn there is a slight gap. But, because the cushions are so square it's hardly noticeable. And like I mentioned, there are no stitches to pull apart.

$50 seems like a bargain to me considering that hack job that I would end up with if I did it myself. The arms rests are not even on mine, I would have to start from scratch with them. Keep us posted on wht you decide to do. thanks

Just finished the second seat. Unfortunately, I mis-judged how much material, I would have left, to do a third seat. Only enough for the back-rest, and handle bars on the next seat. Almost no wasted material, either. This means that I will not be able to offer them for $50., sorry. I am going to offer this one for $60 + actual shipping, via UPS. I will then buy more material, and see if I can continue to make them for that price. I still plan to return 10% of the proceeds to this great club. If I can't make them at that price then it will most likely only be worth it for each member, to make it a do-it-yourself project. Hey, you're not afraid to jump into an engine, why be afraid of a little vinyl. Send me a PM, if you want this one. I have photographed the process a little better to give anyone that wants to do this, a better idea how. Also, if you really want to try this, you can email me and I will provide more photo's and technical advice. It is worth it, if you need two seats. I had to set up another site, cause my gallery space is running out. [url]http://www.geocities.com/arjr111/photopagespiral.html[/url]