Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Good News and Bad News

bigcountry

Good News: I got my 4211H running. I flushed the carb out with carb cleaner and put it back together and jumped it off and it fired right up. Runs great. I let it run until it ran out of gas. Proved to me that it is in good shape. It didn't smoke any either--that told me that the motor has a lot of life left in it. Bad News: After I got it running, I got on it and pulled the hydro stick into reverse and nothing happened. I am thinking that the hydraulic fluid and filter needs to be changed for it to work. If that doesn't, then I believe it could be the pump. If any of y'all has had any experience with these trannies and this situation, please tell me what could make this thing move. I am very happy that I got it running, but now I want to be able to drive it. Appreciate all your help and support.

Under the seat on the top of the pump you will find 2 valve buttons that have a L shaped bracket over them make sure the bracket is pulled up away from the buttons. This is what is used to put the hydro into free wheeling. If the pins do not pop up jack up the rear wheels and start the tractor. Moving the control lever from forward to reverse this should release them. Then clean up around them good and spray with penetrating oil and work them up and down. you can all so spray them and try to pull them up with a pair of pliers or vice grips if you can get a hold on them. They should work freely.

My experience is with a Sundstrand Hydro. My manual told me to check the forward and reverse acceleration relief valves before tearing into the pump or the hydro motor. It turns out I had a broken spring in the forward accleleration relief valve that kept the valve from closing and the system from pressurizing, and the tractor wouldn't move. I ordered parts, including all new "O" rings and am still waiting for them to arrive. If it works, it will be easier than tearing down the transmission.

Find the neutral handle under the seat deck. Follow it to the dump shaft that comes out the front on the hydro pump. Make sure the shaft moves freely as stated above. Jack

Are you sure the transmission engagement lever under the seat is in the engaged position? Shown in the picture in the disingaged position.

Here are some links to manuals that might help you. Operator's Manual for 4211H: http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_100_3274_00_LT_SMA.pdf Parts Manual for 4211H: http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_400_1018_04_RG_S.pdf Service Manual for 4200 Series Lawn Tractors: http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_500_3286_00_LT_A.pdf Repair Information for Light Duty Eaton Hydrostatic Transmission - Model 7: http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_500_1039_00_SK_S.pdf Hope this helps, Greg

I appreciate the quick responses. I won't have a chance to try them until tomorrow or Friday. So far, I'm enjoying working on it and my work, at this point, is worth it, as I got it running. I just hope that I can get this tranny thing worked out with little trouble. My goal is to be able to take it to the Southeast Old Threshers' Reunion tractor show in July in Denton, NC. I've seen them there before, and I'd love to show off my hard work in something like that.

bigcountry it sounds like you have a good start. I know the feeling, I hope to have the 3012V ready for the Laynesville Indiana show this summer. Larry

Yeah, I've always wanted to display in a show, and that is what I intend to do with this one. That's the only show close enough for me to go to around here, and I've been to it once, I loved it, and so, now that I have a machine of that nature, my goal is to make it look new again. I don't care if I don't win anything, it's all fun to do.