Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Electric Clutch

Nubian

Happy Holidays! Could not wait for the second storm of the year. When I got on my D/A 1920 the electric clutch would not work and the dash light would not come on. I checked the juice and it was fine. Got another clutch off my parts tractor same result. Have a new clutch on the way from Jonette.But meanwhile since I had the clutch off I decided to simonize my engine before I started I checked the juice again this time if your facing the engine the connector on the right was extemely dim. When I checked before both sides were bright. Now just the left connector is bright.I checked the line and it's not damaged anywhere leading into the harness. BTW I used the same gounding location for both connectors. Any ideas or is it just a bad clutch? I used it about 2 weeks earlier and everything was fine

i checked the juice with a test light. after your reply i checked it with a multimeter and the reading averaged 13.90 on both connectors.

BTW way i posted some pictures from the first storm of the year with me sporting a full cab for the 1st time in my gallery
Eddie, Let's try a direct link to those great pictures: [url]pop_photo_gallery.asp?PATH=&M_NAME=Nubian&MEMBER_ID=2621[/url] Kent

So it's not an electrical problem. BTW I tried every gap setting between .15 and .18. how do i post pictures with my replies?

If you are getting a voltage reading on each side of the connector at the clutch, that indicates a loss of ground. Try unplugging the connector, checking the power then, you can tell which side is the hot side. Try running a ground to the other side and see what happens.

Eddie, Use the Reply to Topic link, instead of the Quick Reply box at the bottom of the screen. It will bring up a form with the normal paperclip on it that lets you upload and attach a picture... Kent

There is a jumper wire in the wire harness plug for the rear PTO that might be your problem. Silly as it seems this is used when not using rear PTO option. I bought a service book for my Sunstar 20, which should be similar to yours, and wiring diagram, as small as it is shows the power feed going thru rear switch first. Also if you download parts book and look in wire harness section it shows you where to find it, kind of. With out their analyzer its a hunt and peck process. But from what I see it all eludes to dirty connections.

The probelm is current not voltage, I'll bet. This is the one thing that trips up techs everytime. I am a electrical engineer, retired. 99.9% of the time I have to go to the service dept. to help with a electrical probelm its current flow not voltage that is the cause of the trouble. You can measure 12-13 volts at the clutch but there maybe a bad connection in the current path that will not let the current flow. It is the soda straw vs. a fire hose. At the end of both, straw and hose, you will read the same water pressure (voltage) but the soda straw fill not have enough water flow (current) to put out the fire. Or pick your clutch in this case. Jack

[quote]Originally posted by BLT
Don't forget parts book, it'll give you an idea what to look for. BLT......... good news (I think) first of all I did not enjoy having to take part of my cab off( I'm scared stiff of tearing that vinyl). I started poking around the area you suggested and BINGO the front pto light came on, bad news is I don't know what I did. I tried everything and could not get the light to turn back off so I could find the problem area, negative results.I did find an area where a couple of wires were a little pinched, but can't be sure that was the cause short of pinching them again.I guess i'll put the clutch back on and see what happens. Thanks everyone for the help.

quote:
Originally posted by Nubian
[quote]Originally posted by BLT
Don't forget parts book, it'll give you an idea what to look for. BLT......... good news (I think) first of all I did not enjoy having to take part of my cab off( I'm scared stiff of tearing that vinyl). I started poking around the area you suggested and BINGO the front pto light came on, bad news is I don't know what I did. I tried everything and could not get the light to turn back off so I could find the problem area, negative results.I did find an area where a couple of wires were a little pinched, but can't be sure that was the cause short of pinching them again.I guess i'll put the clutch back on and see what happens. Thanks everyone for the help.
If you make thru the winter I suggest you check it over for dirty connections and recheck that pinced area. I hope that does the trick.

celebration was way to early back to square 1 think it's a grounding problem not sure though and can't narrow it down.

quote:
Originally posted by automan
If you are getting a voltage reading on each side of the connector at the clutch, that indicates a loss of ground. Try unplugging the connector, checking the power then, you can tell which side is the hot side. Try running a ground to the other side and see what happens.
you were right it is ground related when i ran my test light as ground, the pto light came on but was very dim i checked ALL the connectors and everything seems fine. What to do? expecting some snow tomorrow just my luck!

My gut feeling it is a dirty connector or loose connection. Where is the 64 dollar question. I guess it comes down unplugging and checking out connection points in the area of the battery for starts.

While not entirely familiar with your tractor let me ask how is clutch power switched? Is power supplied to the clutch at all times and the ground switched or is power swithed at the dash through a constant, remotely located ground? If the circuit is hot switched at the dash you could wire in a new ground to the existing circuit for a temporary repair. If the ground is switched then problem likely to be a break in the wiring between the clutch and the switch. I hope this makes a little bit of sense to you. Also I have seen wires that look OK but are broken internally. A useful tool would be an ohm meter to check continuity. Not being familiar with your tractor I can't offer any specifics just the gereral idea's that I mentioned. Good Luck!!!