Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

717 torque bar

samson

I'm tring to get the bar out of the sleeve. So far I'v soaked it in kerosene for a week, heated and hammered, liquid wrenched it, and done what ever I could to get it free, but no luck. The grease fitting is out and when I heat it it seems to draw the liquid wrench in. Also so tried to jack it out with a 6 ton bottle jack. All that did was bend the pipe I was using to push it with. I'm using a propane torch not a acytelene. Any HELP

Hi Roger, a picture of the problem, might help. If we can see it. Someone should be able to explain how they have worked through similar problems.

I had success taking apart a gilson tiller houseing, two machined cast iron surfaces so I didn't want to try heat, by pouring coke on it. This was after soaking it with Kroil and PB blaster for a week. Came apart in 30 min..MPH

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
I had success taking apart a gilson tiller houseing, two machined cast iron surfaces so I didn't want to try heat, by pouring coke on it. This was after soaking it with Kroil and PB blaster for a week. Came apart in 30 min..MPH
Completely forgot about that as being a rust remover. Just think we drink that stuff too and/or variations thereof.

FYI, The "active" ingredient in Coke is Phosphoric acid. It has an intrinsic affinity for iron oxide (rust). I bought some ZEP tile & grout cleaner (with that ingredient) at Home Depot; 1-gallon ~~ $5.00 and soaked my SEVERELY rusted tow chains in it overnight. It totally removed all the rust. As a nice bi-product of the FeO2 reduction, it leaves the surface with a coating of FePH that helps inhibit future rust. Then I soaked them in Marine Penetrol for further surface protection. Going to H.D. now and will reply back with their SKU number/further description. Tom (PK)

Hmmm, Coke? tile & grout cleaner eh? I gotta problem with rust right now. What the hey I'll try anything once :) Steve

Kerosene is also good to soak rusty parts in. It removes the rust but does not etch the metal like an acid. Saw this on "Woodright's Shop" a few years ago. Kerosene was being used on antique tools.

Samson - Keep trying - it may take 2 or 3 weeks of soaking and repeated heat/cool cycles. But after all that, it may be too seized to ever get apart. In that case, you can saw the sleeve (the whole crossmember) out of the tractor and weld in a replacement from a salvage tractor. Find one from a 707 or 717 for an exact match (the one from a 728 or 738 is slightly different, but will also work). Tom