Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wheel weight brackets

Dadsy98

Here's a plan for some homebrew wheel weight brackets. I have access to the materials for these. I plan on making a set for each tractor, (three of them). I thought I'd run this past our club engineers and see if I've forgotten or overlooked anything.

Been thinking about how to mount the barbell weights to the wheel rim. The standard four bolt idea seems awkward. I like the idea of using the center hole and just slide the weights on, fasten with a nut. Steve

Great Idea Steve. Think I'll make a couple for the Landlord. I would recommend using either a lock nut or drilling a hole through the nut and bolt to put a clip or wire through to lock the nut on from spinnng off while driving.

Kris, LOL! I don't plan on plowing so fast I need to lock wire the nuts! Seriously, Once I make these up I'll put one weight on, nut it and mark a hole for a cotter pin then remove the nut and add a second weight, nut it and mark another hole. Fifty pounds per tire should be plenty. Marty, These plans are preliminary so figure on an adjustment or two. Daddycat, bingo on the EZ weight concept. I'm not trying to compete, it's just the dollars and sense of it. I've got the sense to make them just don't have the dollars to buy them! Steve

LOL! Steve, I didn't mean that you were going fast. Just that I would hate to see a weight come off in the middle of a snow storm and you just have to get off and try and find the bolt in the snow. I was thinking of a cotter pin myself but couldn't find the word.:)

Steve great idea!I may try that system on one of mine. I run 50# per wheel on my tractors and rarely run out of traction. I did get a set of truck chains given to me I'm going to rig up for icy times. Larry

Steve, I ment the OEM system, four bolts per wt set. Larry, I made up a set of chains for the 4040 outta truck chains, thier 'boss'. Gotta move the cross bars to everyother link. I was lucky enough to bum the use of a chain repair tool from a local tire shop, worth looking for in your area. Made it a fun job instead of a fight..MPH

Thought that was what you meant Marty, I got a box of old tire chains awhile back. I remembered you telling me about taking tire chains apart and putting them back together for the tractor tires. Wasn't too bad of a job, had a small anvil, big hammer and a large screwdriver. I sure am proud of those chains, one set for the 312 and one set for the 7010... $15.00 Steve