Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Kent

Found the cause of my BGB failure

Kent
I finally found some "tractor time" yesterday, and tore down my "HB-216" to replace the bad bevel gear box (BGB) that went out several weeks ago. When I removed the shift plate covering the frame tunnel, the front bearing of the BGB had come out of the cast BGB housing and was riding up next to the yoke that connects to the driveshaft. When I began to remove the BGB, I found that the lower right mounting bolt was broken, and the lower left one was slightly loose.... Note that I have not used this tractor "hard" since putting the Sundstrand hydro and 16HP engine in it. Only a slight bit of snow plowing last winter, after I got it together, and I haven't had the Johnny Bucket mounted on it since.... So, my best guess on what happened is that when my hydro tranny "bled down" and I had a "runaway" a few weeks prior to the BGB self-destructing, it must have snapped that lower mounting bolt when the tractor ran down off a bank into the woods and hit a 2" - 3" tree. I think either the shock of it going down off the bank, or the impact to the tree snapped the bolt. Following that time, the bearing started slowly working its way forward out of the BGB case, all the while with no noticeable major vibration or noise. When it finally popped completely out of the BGB, it "self-destructed" almost immediately, since I was using the vac, pulling about a half-full cart load of leaves/grass clippings, and running the throttle wide open.... I pulled the back plate off the BGB, and the teeth are shot on both gears. I left it sitting to drain the old oil out, and started installing the used BGB I'd bought. At first glance, it appears that rebuilding this one would be expensive, so I'm certainly glad I went ahead and purchased a good used one from Ray's Mower Shop.... After all the discussion, I just wanted to "report in" on my findings, and what I suspect was the cause....

johnmonkey
I need to work on the BGB on my 3410. As Rod mentioned in the recent post, he helped me retrieve the AC 410 (I got the k241) and I also gave Rod the t-13 shuttle. It took a while to get the BGB out of the t-13 but it was worth it to me because I was working on my 3410 and I went to hook up the drive shaft and the yolk was missing on the BGB. I turned the shaft and yes the BGB was not turning. So I am glad that I spent the time to get the BGB out of the t-13 and I appreciate Rod giving me a hand to dismantle both the AC 410 and the t-13. I forgot to mention that when we went to get the 410 the owner had a cub cadet 102 (~1973 at best guess) and he gave that to me as well (he was happy to get rid of both his old tractors and I was happy to ablige him) The cub turns over and has ignition but the spark plug is stripped out so I will pull the head and try a heli-coil. John H

Dutch
You may be right..... I've seen some very strange things happen after collisions. Coincidence? Could be, but I don’t think so. Probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to use LocTite when installing the replacement BGB.

MPH
Thanks for the warning Kent. Since I managed to crack the frame on the 725 the first summer I had it, think I'll inspect the BGB REAL close.. I can feel just the slightest amount of play up and down in the input shaft, the gears feel good. I'm open for advice on weather or not to replace the bearings now...thanks.MPH

thedaddycat
Marty, when going through the 2012 BGB, it was only about 35 bucks (from the Simplicity dealer) for all new bearings and seals. I'm sure you could trim the price a little with other sources like a motor shop or bearing dealer. Cheap insurance as far as I'm concerned, but the choice is entirely yours. You may also want to consider using the HB-1210 Torrington (full compliment) needle bearing instead of the J-1210 (half compliment) bearing as was suggested to me. I used the J-1210 since I'm doing a restoration and that is the stock part. The discussion was part of the 2012 resto. post, about half way down the page. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10303&whichpage=2

G.Kiebler
After a total rebuild of the bgb on my 101,(all new everything inside)I did notice a small degree of movement on the input shaft,I think this is ok,there is a few .000's tolorence for the bearings.