Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

When was this made?

Chris727

The above is my Homesteader8 serial number 11901929. I have noticed that there are two very different versions of the Homesteader8. They made them 71-74 and the ones in the 71, 72 ads have black hood decals with white lettering, 727,728,738 broadmoor style foot rests, combined keystart ignition, shifter doesn't have framework around it but just comes out from under the seat like on a 727-738. They also have an unusual steering wheel and colunm. Mine I would have thought would have been an earlier version. It retains B-207-like features such as push button start, has framework around the gearshift, has b-207 and 707-717 style foot rests, has b series steering wheel and a black grille instead of a white grille. Has white hood decals with black lettering. Serial tag says: Allis Chalmers Outdoor Products Milwuakee Wisconsin. No longer has the original engine so I cant trace its age through the code number. Is this a rare early version or a late verion?

Boy that sure looks different to me.Could it be a mixed breed?It really looks to me like a 717 or earlier Broadmoor with a Allis hood and grille.Its hard to tell in the photo(lift arm in the way)but it also looks kinda like the hood does'nt match up to the dash quite right.

Does it have original paint? What's the MFR number on it, since you've been able to locate the serial number? Based on the deep-dish steering wheel and push-button starter on the dash, my first guess is it's a B-207 or B-208 with a Homesteader hood. Why would anyone change out dash and steering wheel? I can see them replacing a hood....

Chris, You have the earlier version. The 8hp Homesteader prior to serial number 26401001 were like yours. Don't know the years though. Here's a link to the parts manual for both models: http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_400_3790_00_XX_A.pdf This will explain more than I can. Greg

The extra hood at the bottom was off of an orange b-207E, kind of a rarity I guess to find a b-series in 300/400 paint scheme but it was factory. I just bought it becuase I liked the custom flames and it was only $15 from a Simplicity dealer that had to sell of their junk mowers for srap. The reason the hood on the homesteader may look to fit poorly is because I put plastic spacers between the hood and dash so It would give some cusion and save paint a bit. Thanks for the help guys.