Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Blade Sharpening?

Bruker

What's the best way to sharpen lawn mower blades. I usually use the vise and file method but it takes quit a bit of time. Is there any kind of grinder attachment that will help do a good job??

If I sharpen my blades on the deck I use my 4 1/2" angle grinder. If I pull the blades off I use a file to touch them up or the bench grinder. Remember to not overheat the blades and take the temper from the metal. I get my angle grinders from Chuck Homier Dist. in Indiana. they cost $5.99 each. They have a website you can order from too. Larry

Been using the bench grinder for years and touch them up with flat file. Also keep in mind also, that flat (not bent) and balanced blades play into the equation also. I have the expensive balancer and it real surpring how out balance they be become without periodically checking them.

I sharpen blades on a bench grinder or a belt sander. Belt sander makes less heat when sharping blades. Blades usally last longer when I sharpen them on belt shader. I always balance my mower blades.

I just checked my blades on all three decks and also looked in the parts breakdown. My blades don't have a nail by the center hole... Steve

balanceing blades are very easy first throw them up in air, the heavy end hits ground first, second, grind a bit off heavy end, repeat if needed.

I use the rock method for balancing.Just find the big rocks and try to mow them down gets rid of the high spots and grinds all those dangerous sharp edges off. Bob

I use hand grinder with blades in vise followed with file.Then I check balance with cone purchased at local farm store(aprox.$3.00).I found the nail in the bench left a lot of room for error. I did do the nail method for a long time.

Hi, We use a right angle grinder with a 9" weld grinding disc. Balance on a balancer. Keep in mind the sharper the angle, the slower to dull. A blade ground at 45 degrees will stay sharper longer than one sharpened to 30 degress. The 30 degree will cut better in tough grass when sharp, but the edge goes faster. Also sharpening often, makes the blades last longer. As the blades cutting edge rounds off, you have to grind a lot more off to get to the place where the ground face intersects with flat metal on the bottom instead of a bottom that is rounded upward. My 2 cents worth and it is free value accordingly, Good luck, Al Eden

Does anyone know anything about "cyrogenics", ya know, 300 degrees below, like they do now for hi-perf engines, ive heard they do the whole works now, valves, pistons. How about mower blades, just think, sharpen every 5 years?????? http://www.metal-wear.com/Engines.htm Doug

Doug, suppose it help if I set my tractors under the wood stove, then move them outside at 60 below?? Might have to wait til next winter if this one holds up. Only seem 26 below once so far..MPH

Doug, 3 decks, 3 blades each. 1 walk behind, 1 blade. 10 blades total. Blades are roughly $12.00 each. soooo.... 10X12=120 120X5 =600 I should mention that I haven't got a 5 year purchasing history yet. I got my third Simplicity just last fall. So, the total is an estimate. It does show how the little things can add up though. Steve