Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What oil is best???

merc

Was changing transmision and gear box oil in a Simplicity 3410S that I just picked up. I have always used 80-90w gear oil according to the original owners manual for my AC 712S. I purchased a simplicity repair manual and it says to use trans-hydraulic for both. Which one is right or will either work good. There is a big difference in viscosity between trans-hydaulic and 80-90w. Thanks, Jason

Welcome to the club Jason! I remember reading about the BGB in different places, I too have seen hydraulic oil mentioned. 80W90 wouldn't hurt it any. The gear oil gets pretty thick in the winter but it clings better than the hydraulic oil would. (I think...) Let's wait for some of the more experienced folk here to weigh in on your question. Steve

I would stay with the 80w90 in the bgb,it's sheer stability is much higher(it's ability to resistance breaking down due to the high load the oil encounters between the gears)and use the hy-trans in the transmission. It's viscosity is better in colder temperatures. Hope this helps and welcome aboard. Ps. I lost a trans in 94'during a blizzard using 90w as one of my older manuals had described.

Not trying to start a post from hell debate. Try a synthetic gear oil shifts alot easier in the cold I found and helps prevent the cold trans problems.

I run Amsoil syn gear lube in all mine. 90wt can get so stiff the gears will just chew a spot to turn then run dry in the cold. Depends where you live and what you use your tractors for..MPH

Since my tractors have to stay outside (Janet won't let me bring them in )Would it be alright to thin the gear lube a bit with kerosene? Guessing somewhere around a half pint or so. Steve