Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunstar homemade cab

PeppyDan

I think some of you out there would like to see the cab my brother-in-law and I built for my Sunstar last winter. I didn't get it painted until this summer, so i finally got it on the tractor and was able to use it this winter. As you can see from the pics, it's very accessible to maintain and operate the tractor. I have about 3/4" to 1" of clearance a round all the sheetmetal to avoid scratching or wearing the paint, this also I believe helps to keep the windows from fogging up by keeping the air inside of the cab about the same temp. as the outside air. I have a small heater/defroster located for it if I need to install one, but the tractor is not in a heated building or attached to our home, so I need to dress for the cold regardless.

That is a really nice job. I especially like the custom rotator control from inside the cab. Must be always thinking

Nice...... Very, very, nice! Great workmanship and attention to detail. How about some construction info? Your own design? Wood, steel, aluminum, other? Weight? How hard is it to install / remove? Do you leave on year round? I'm thinking about tackling a similar project myself. Trying to decide what I really want.

Very professional job Dan. This is the type project I think we all aspire to. I have been preparing for a cab similar to this for my 17GTH but could not quite get the plan right. Now I see how it's done. I think a lot of us would like to see your process and material list. Maybe you could put it together step by step and Kent could add it to the "how to" link! Larry

I think i speak for most of us here in saying i wish you were my neighbor so you could help me build one, :) Dam good job

Thanks for all the great compliments!!! My brother-in-law, Walt works at a weld/fab shop. We brought the Sunstar there to get the basic "shell" in tack then moved it his place to finish designing and tacking the other parts together. It took us about 3 weeks to assemble and just tack everything together. He would form up various parts after work each night and thats what we would assemble that evening. I had an idea of the quality I wanted, but Walt had the know-how to get it done easily. We had figured up manhours, fabshop times, and materials, and estimate it would cost $2500-$3000 to have it built by a shop. I have about $180 in the glass, $50 in paint & $200 in steel & supplies(lots and lots of free steel). To get to your questions, it's made of formed sheetmetal. I don't have it on in the summer, the front bracket would get in the way of the mowing deck gearbox, I am guessing it weighs 200-300 lbs. The doors are easily removable which is probably 40-50 lbs per door(1/4 laminated glass doesn't help the weight. The she** is attached at each of the four corners with a locating pin & a bolt(A bracket in front and another in the rear each have four bolts also). Two men can install or remove it, but it does work better with 3 men or 1 hoist & a strap. Thanks again I plan on continuing the stripes from the tractor on to the cab and also painting the roof cream to match the wheels. Anyone got a catchy name for it, ie... Sunbuster, Comfort cab Cozy cab...??? Dan

P.S. I am thinking of changing to an electric spout rotator instead of the system currently on it. I have found that it takes many complete revolutions to get the spout from one side to the other. With the comfort and ease of everything else it's now the worst part of the cab(L.O.L), so I just have to try to make that better too. I am planning on bringing it to the Greenville, Ohio "Farm Power of the Past" show in July for anyone interested!

Dan, A ++++; five stars on that project!! Have you thought about sending the pics to the Simplicity engineering department? Perhaps they could learn a few things (LOL). Tom(PK)

Very impressive, Dan. Looks like a lot of Man Hours. This will be the Snow-cab to judge all the rest by. Certainly, looks better than any one I've ever seen.

Dan thanks for the pictorial! That is one of the things I enjoy about this site. People sharing their ideas and expertise! Once again, a real super job Dan, You and Walt are true Master Craftsmen. Larry

Dan: That is absolutely awesome!! You and your brother in law do beautiful work. I could have used it on the Powermax during our latest Noreaster in NY - we got 16". As for a name - how about the "Weatherbuster"??? Thought I'd give it a shot anyway.

That is beautiful. I have a high school degree in the study of sheet metal and I must say I am very impressed with the thought and the quality of work put into it. When you build something the right way and make it a quality product you should be able to have that cab around for some time. I am very impressed and enjoyed seeing your work and it's great that you shared it with everyone. Seeing that motivates me to go work on my tractor. Thanks, Al