Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
aokpops

Leaking fuel pump

MPH
Greg, not sure what engine your 917 runs, but when I found my 4040 the Onan in it had a crankcase half full of gas. I took advise from long time owners here and put a puraltor electric pump on it. Works great. Can't find the pump #, if your interested, I'll go to the shop and see if I can find it on the pump..MPH

PatRarick
First, is the pump leaking oil or gasoline? Second, is the pump made of plastic, or metal? If it is leaking oil, it could be as simple as the pump mounting gasket, not the pump. If the pump itself is leaking oil, chances are that the pump lever shaft has worn into the pump body, and the pump will have to be replaced. If the pump is leaking gasoline, replace it if it is made of plastic. My experience has been that the body is warped, particularly on the twin cylinders, where the pump is mounted in an area of higher operating temperature than on the single cylinders. If the pump is made of metal, you can rebuild it. Pat

MPH
Greg, here's a few shots of how I mounted the puralator fuel pump, Pro #42S on my 4040. Think the cost was in the 30-40 dollar range. It should be moved up about half an inch as my slightly twisted hood will catch the fuel outlet elbow when closing..MPH